2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting columns (Excel 2000 SP3)

I have a spreadsheet which includes a continuous range of c. 40 identically formatted columns.

The cells from rows 4-7 in each column are merged, with the text in the merged cell (a individual person's name) presented vertically (ie. transposed through 90 degrees).

Row 87 contains the total of the hours worked by each individual on the day in question (each sheet represents one day). However, not everyone works on every day.

I am looking for a quick way of deleting the "unused" columns each day. My idea was to highlight the range of 'people' columns, and then do a horizontal sort by row 87, to group all the people who had worked that day together, and then block highlight and delete the rest.

But when I try to do the sort, I get the message

"This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized".

As far as I can see, the merged cells are identical in the whole of the range of columns I wish to sort, though that merging does not continue in columns A-D which are to the left of my 'sort block'.

Is there a way to do the sort, or any other approach to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thanks in anticipation.

Neil

Thanks

Re: Sorting columns (Excel 2000 SP3)

have you tried unmerging, sorting, then remerging the cells?

Steve

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You have found one of the many problems with using merged cells. It does not matter if the merged cells are the same size or not, Excel will not think that they are. The only solution that I have seen is to unmerge the cells.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Legare (and Steve)

At least I now understand what is going on. I'm about halfway through doing it all manually, anyway!!

By the way, does this shortfall continue through later editions of Excel, Legare?

Thanks again for your help.

Neil

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Since I refuse to install any program that includes the Registration/Activation Wizard, I can only difinitively answer through XL2K. However, AFAIK, it happens in all current versions that support cell merging.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ooo - you rebel!

Well I for one am grateful that you have been forced into using the same version as me, and can therefore offer such helpful, tailored support!

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's the same in Excel 2002 and 2003. I don't know whether the upcoming version (Excel 2007) is different in this respect.