Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Firefox Settings (Firefox 1.5)

I have another, slightly different question, from my other thread ( <post:=563,723>post 563,723</post:> ). When I installed Firefox on his new machine, we had his previous Mozilla profile on the hard drive in a temp folder. When FF didn't find it (understandable), I tried to use the File Import command but it only shows Internet Explorer with no way to point it to that temp directory to import the 'old' Mozilla profile. We worked around it by copying bookmarks and address books (Thunderbird) manually to a brand new Firefox profile. So, all is well in HIS house.

But I'm about to repeat the process in MY house today or tomorrow on a new machine for ME. Isn't there some way I can tell a brand new installation of FF where to go to find my already-existing profile, either on a CD or copied from old machine to the new? In my case, the new machine and the old will both be running via my home LAN router, so I should be able to 'see' the old hard drives from the new machine.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Firefox Settings (Firefox 1.5)

When I create a new profile I copy the relevant files from another profile. Migrating settings to a new profile from the MozillaZine knowledge base gives some more details.

With Firefox 1.5 upwards you can also copy the entire extensions directory over any those extensions will be automatically installed when you next start Firefox.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks (again) Tony. I had found that migrating page and was just wondering how come the FF and TB programs don't have a way to let you point to that old location so you don't have to do it manually. Anyway, it'll work for me.

(What I'm referring to is on THIS old machine, some time ago when I converted from Mozilla 1.7 to Firefox, I didn't have to say a word. FF found my Moz profile and did the job, semi-automatically.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I installed FF and TB on this new machine, I just setup new profiles and then manually copied my bookmarks, address books and MAIL folders to the respective new profile directories. I only have two email accounts, so it wasn't difficult to do, except I gave each one a slightly different name in TB, so now I realize I'm gonna have to edit a number of TB email filters - no big deal.

I do have an embarrassing question however. In the email display left pane where all the folders are listed, i.e. Inbox, Trash, etc. I can't for the life of me find where I went to get TB to display the number of messages in each folder. Grrr! I thought it was a right-click on the header bar but that's not it. Can you erase my senior moment, please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Nevermind, I found it. Tools, Options, General...
    Attached Images Attached Images