3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Questions about Message Recall (Outlookk 2003)

If I sent an email to a person inside of our company, and they were out to lunch (so they could not have read the email), why would I have gotten a Recall Failure (before they even got back in the office to have read it)? Would a rule or something have caused that?

Thanks, Sat.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Questions about Message Recall (Outlookk 2003)

One of the possibilities is how the Exchange Servers are set up. Conceivably, your colleague's e-mail comes through another e-mail server - within the same organisation; which could make it not possible for the message to be rcalled. HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have NEVER been able to figure out the pattern when a recall works within the company and when it doesn't (other than the obvious case that you can't recall what somebody has already read). We have one Exchange server, and it's happened enough times with enough different recipients that I'm quite sure message rules aren't involved. If it's important that a recipient know that a message should be ignored I recall it AND send a new message saying to ignore the bad one if they received it.

That's also a reason not to trust the recall feature as an option for changing your mind - make sure you get important messages right the first time!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Don't forget some people leave their machines running, with Outlook open. So when they get back from lunch, they have all their new emails. Even though it has NOT been read but it has been downloaded to their PST or CST files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think the general consensus is that recall just doesn't work. Not well enough to rely on it outside the testing lab, anyway.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That is normally the case for any of our users that has a computer at their desk. We open Outlook first thing in the morning and close it when we shut down in the afternoon. So, that's not the source of the problem. Like I said, I have been unable to find any pattern to when recall works or doesn't work.