Star Lounger
    Thanks

send page by email (OL 2003 sp2)

I suddenly can no longer "send page by email" from IE. When I looked in the help files on MSKB I found an article that says you cannot send a link by email...

Is this new? does this block me from sending a web page in the body of an email??? if so, does anyone know a workaround?????

thanks

Tom O'Connell

Thanks

Re: send page by email (OL 2003 sp2)

I have IE 6 on Windows XP SP2 and Outlook 2003. If I choose File>Send>Page by Email, I get a new message with the page as an attachment. I gather you don't want that, you want the page to be embedded in the message body. If so, try this:

(1) Right-click and save the attachment somewhere convenient.
    (2) If the message format is not already HTML, use Format>HTML to change the format to HTML.
    (3) Click in the body of the message and use Insert>File to locate the saved page, select it, then drop-down the Insert button and choose Insert as Text.

Hopefully you won't need to do it very often...

Another option would be to define a new "action" in the File Types dialog for .html files, or a Send To, that would start a new Outlook message using that file as stationery. I haven't looked into the start-up switches required to make that work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip. It doesn't really work for me.

When I chose File>Send>Page by Email, I get and error message " Microsoft Outlook: The Operation Failed" I get the same error when I try to send the link only.

I don't know if this means anything, but when I right click on the body of a message, I do not get the options you advise... I DO have an "Insert" menu category and I can save a web page as .HTM and then insert it to the message (but only as an attachement). Also when I attempt to reply to a message, outlook does not open a reply window as the top window on my screen; instead, it opens a minimized reply window that I have to eithe maximize or drag to a usable size. All of this seems to have started after the last MS automatici update???

I really want to be able to just click on a web page and send it as email (embedded as the body of the message. I do this several times a day !!!

Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling outlook 2003 would help? As a last resort (for this and other instability issues) is it even possible to roll back to outlook xp (I did convert all my files to the new format)???

thanks for your support in this forum.

tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Did you check whether the right program is set-up as your default email program:
    Startup Internet Explorer: select Tools / Internet Options / Programs

Joop

Thanks

> When I chose File>Send>Page by Email, I get and error message " Microsoft Outlook: The Operation Failed"
    > I get the same error when I try to send the link only.

Follow Joop's suggestion to see whether the MAPI libraries that IE uses are confused. First change your default mail client to Outlook Express and save that change. Then change it back to Outlook. Does that help? If not, perhaps Outlook is busy processing some other task and isn't responding to IE. This could be a bit difficult to debug unless someone else has a similar issue. If you are using Word as your mail editor try switching to using the built-in Outlook editor to rule out any issues with Word.

> when I right click on the body of a message, I do not get the options you advise...

Sorry, just a regular left click.

> I can save a web page as .HTM and then insert it to the message (but only as an attachement).

In an HTML format message, you should have a drop-down with several options. I don't use Word as my mail editor, so Word's dialog may be different.

> Also when I attempt to reply to a message, outlook does not open a reply window as the top window on my
    > screen; instead, it opens a minimized reply window that I have to eithe maximize or drag to a usable size.

Generally speaking, Windows applications remember the last-used window size and position. Drag to a usable size, save a draft, and use File>Close or Shift-Click the X (or maybe it's Ctrl+click, try all three). Hopefully Outlook will be persuaded to remember the new size.

> Do you think uninstalling and reinstalling outlook 2003 would help?

Using Help>Detect & Repair would be a better first step, if you haven't tried that.

> As a last resort (for this and other instability issues) is it even possible to roll back to outlook xp
    > (I did convert all my files to the new format)???

I suspect that you'd need to do a major scrubbing to avoid serious program confusion if you want to go back. Not to mention having to move your data to new Outlook 2002-compatible PST files...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joop-
    Thanks. I had not checked that, but yes, Microsoft Office Outlook is the default.

tom

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are still my hero!!!

switching to outlook express and back worked (after I rebooted).

I had tried dragging the window size larger etc. but it was one of the click drags that seems to have worked... I whacked it around so much I'm not positive which one <g>

I guess I'll just stay with 2003 for now... I have not tried the detect and repair because I always seem to have my problem when I am on the road and don't have the cd with me (I assume I would need it at some point in the process). I think I'll take the cd on my next trip <VBG>.

thanks again,

Tom O'Connell