Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge w/Template (2000 (XP & 2003))

I've got templates set up as mail merge documents. I currently work in 2000 and prior to about a month ago, I haven't had this problem, although others in the office using XP have.

When I access a template (file, new) the Excel data file opens in the background as it should. When I save the doc., I'm prompted as to whether to save Excel file or not so sometimes I select yes, others no. When I then reopen word doc., it is still associated with the data file. Is there any way that once the document is merged, that it no longer looks to the data file? Over the past few days, it doesn't matter if I say yes or no to save the Excel file, Word locks up and I have to restart it.

I've been searching through Word help all week but am unable to find something specific to my problem but it's entirely possible I've missed it.

Thanks much for you help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge w/Template (2000 (XP & 2003))

When you actually merge to a new document (step 3 of the mail merge helper in Word 2000, step 6 of the mail merge wizard/task pane in Word 2002 and 2003), the merged document will not have any link to the data source (the Excel workbook)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, but mine doesn't work like that or should I say like it used to. After I save/close the merged file, when reopen it the Excel file still opens and again asks if I want to save it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using the Excel workbook as data source for the mail merge, or do you have linked Excel tables in the document?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using an excel workbook as the data source.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try the following: press Alt+F9. If the "merged" values turn into fields looking like

{ MERGEFIELD fieldname }

your document has not been merged. Is this the case? (Press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I checked and the document is merged.

In thinking about it over the weekend, I'm wondering if the fact that the workbook has more than 1 sheet to it makes a difference. The sheet I'm using is the first sheet. It was originally created in Excel 2000 but I migrated to 2003 for Excel but stayed at 2000 for Word. When using Excel 2003, I believe I was prompted for the "sheet" when selecting the data source. After having the problems, I went back to Excel 2000 and am only asked for 'Entire Sheet' or 'Print Area'.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While trying out the files this morning, I've reset the print area on the first sheet of the Excel file, and opened the Word template and reset it to look at the print area. While I still had the template open for the changes, I merged, saved, and reopened the merged document and Excel did not open. However, I then did file/new to access same template, merged, saved, closed and reopened and Excel did reopen as it didn't lose the connection.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does Edit | Links... provide a clue? (If it is disabled, there are no external links in the document)

You could try the following:
    - Make a copy of the document.
    - Remove some text from the document, then save, close and reopen it.
    - If the problem has gone, you know that its cause was in the text you removed.
    - Otherwise, repeat these steps until you have found the "culprit".

If you wish, you can attach a sanitized copy of the document (zipped if necessary)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Edit links is grayed out. If I attach a sanitized document, should I attach the merged document or the template along w/Excel file?

I just modified the Excel file to only have 1 sheet then reset the template to look there but that didn't make any difference.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Start with the merged document, to see if I or others can find the cause. If that isn't enough, I may ask for the template and excel workbook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's merged doc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the version of the document that you attached exhibit the problem for you? When I open it, Excel isn't started, and I get no prompts then or when I close the document.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leanne S on 20-Mar-06 14:59. added additional info.)</P>Hans,

Yes, this version does exhibit the problems. I'm assuming when you open it, it then looks to your normal as you don't have the associated template. Wonder what will happen if I open the doc and set it to look to normal......I've already tried so many options this morning I'm forgetting what I did.

I opened the file, set it to look at normal as the template, saved, closed, opened and all is ok. Now that leaves me with something else to think about. Is it possible when the document is saved that there could be code to have it look to normal; something that would work on different machines. I've got many offices/users who use the documents and I know they will never remember to change it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:

- Open your merged document.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Expand TemplateProject (BidsReceived)
    - Double click ThisDocument in this template.
    - Copy/paste the following code into ThisDocument:

Private Sub Document_Close()
    ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = "Normal"
    End Sub

- Click the Save button on the toolbar.
    - Switch back to Word (Alt+F11).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast