2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unrecognized Hard Drive

Hi,

I added a 10 GB Hard Drive to a friend's computer to act as the new C drive, and use his original 2 GB Hard Drive as a data backup D Drive. He has a Win 98SE machine, with a 160 MHz Pentium. It's fine for his needs, he just wanted more space to store stuff. Both drives were formatted and blank. I connected the new drive (Western Digital) and made the appropriate pin settings for the new master and the old master (now the slave drive). Both drives are connected to one ribbon. I used a boot disk to start it up. The new C drive was fine, but the D drive was missing in action. In fact, the CD-Rom showed up as the D Drive, instead of the E. I tried reversing the settings. Then the old drive (a Maxtor) showed up fine as the C, but no sign of the new drive as the D. Each one also worked fine individually.

I've done this before several times on different computers without any problem. I've triple checked the pin settings from the manufacturer's web sites. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unrecognized Hard Drive

Could this be a BIOS issue?

Not sure why it would be.

Don't suppose you have a spare 2G drive you could try, or a spare IDE(?) connector on the mother board.
    Granville

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds very much like the BIOS was set to auto-detect the primary master drive, but not any others. Check your BIOS and make sure it's auto-detecting at least those two. Once you've got things settled into place, feel free to hard set them. This knocks off a few seconds of boot time.

zeus

Format is often not enough.

Try FDISK on the drive.

See what it says..