2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1: Analog Input (XP Home Ver. 5.1 SP2)

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 1 1/2 year old Dell 4600. About a month or so ago a little teeny line of type started showing up on the boot screen. The "Dell" screen you "watch" while the BIOS is booting. In bright white type, dead center, the message says "1: Analog Input". It isn't there every time, but most boots (hard and soft), there it is.

I don't let Windows Update run automatically, but I've installed all the updates. I run the usual Norton AV 2006, Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpyBlaster, ZoneAlarm. I used to use the Fast Shutdown from Woody's Timesaving Techniques for XP (page 132) ALL the time, but I stopped using it after this little message appeared and I read one of the posts that said fast shutdowns often don't allow enough time for files to be written where they should be. Now I shut down the long way, but Analog Input persists.

From time to time I also get a message while shutting down that something at memory location [gibberish] could not be read, click to close or click to debug. But the message is unclickable and unprintable, and the system shuts down in a second or two. The next time that goes by, I'll try to get the name of the "program" on the top bar of the message.

When this started, I had begun a long process of recording and cataloging photo shots of a collection. I take the shots with a Kodak digital, suck them in using the Kodak software, then open and clean them up with Irfanview. Then they are inserted into catalogs using tables created in Word 2003. These files are getting pretty big. That's all I've been doing that was new and different when this message started showing up.

Any suggestions? It may be completely benign, but computers have a way of going south on you and saying, "hey, I warned you. . ." I've been making a backup CD of all those graphics, just in case.
    Thanks,
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 1: Analog Input (XP Home Ver. 5.1 SP2)

I don't think the "1. Analog Input" line is anything to worry about. Your monitor can probably work with both an analog and a digital video signal. When you turn on the PC/monitor, the monitor detects the analog signal from your video card and displays the line.

See if you can manage to read the title bar of the error message on shutdown.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. That's a relief. I'll keep watching for that error message on shutdown. It doesn't appear every time. Depends on what I've been doing. Seems that it appears after long sessions with Kodak/Irfanview/Word/ZTree. I keep ZTree open to move the graphic files from temporary folders into permanent locations after they are cleaned up. I'm sort of doing three things at the same time and that may be gumming up the works.

Thanks!
    Kris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

The "Analog" message has, at least for now, disappeared. I believe the program name in the error message was ccApp, which Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel says is a Symantec file.

I continued to have problems with the Kodak digital camera software (EasyShare) until it finally quit altogether. After slogging through their troubleshooting and online "help", repairing, then completely reinstalling a new download of the software, the problem was still there. It occurred to me to check Device Manager, and sure enough, something had dumped the driver. A simple driver reload and I was back in business. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

It probably was the EasyShare software causing the Analog message. I did hours of work with Word and IrfanView without opening anything Kodak, and no message appeared. Soon as I started to work with the camera again, things went haywire. At least now I have a new version installed, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

Thanks again,
    Kris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

ccApp is part of Symantec Anti Virus. It sometimes delays shutting down Windows. There are some tips about this problem in Message: "ccApp.exe is not responding" during computer restart or shutdown.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, thanks Hans. It sure found a lot to delete. I take care of the temp internet files pretty regularly, but not the Windows temp files. Y'd think they'd clean up after themselves. Yeah, right.

Thanks again,
    Kris