Thread: New Dell PC

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

New Dell PC

I've moved my old computer to another room and it's connected to my router and operable, shares open and ZA configured to "allow" my LAN (192.168.x.x). This new Dell P4 is partially setup, in that it arrived with a trial copy of McAfee which I will remove as soon as I can connect to my LAN so I can reach my software repository folder. Meanwhile, I've made sure the McAfee firewall is also configured to "allow" my LAN - evidently it came that way. But I can't see either machine on the LAN so far, in spite of the fact that both do have internet connectivity. I've checked the DHCP settings in the router and it seems to be OK (see attachment). Both the old and new machines have the same user account, password and permissions and of course the workgroup name is the same.

When I try to view the network from Windows Explorer I get a message from Windows that the workgroup is "...not accessible. You might not have permission to access..." Explorer does show the correct workgroup name and from a command prompt, IPCONFIG /ALL everything looks good, i.e. the IP addresses of the ISP's DNS servers, the router (gateway and DHCP server) and this new machine as 192.168.1.102 (the MAC address is correct). I can ping the router but get a timeout if I ping the old computer on 192.168.1.101 (the 100 series is my choice, ever since I first setup this LAN a long time ago, prior to Win XP.)

Oh, I forgot to say that this new machine has Win XP Media Center Edition installed. I know I join a long list of folks with this kind of "new machine or network" problem, but can anyone spot what I've missed, please?

Thanks

Re: New Dell PC

Just a wild guess as networks are not a strongpoint, but are you enabling DHCP *and* specifiying IP addresses?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, thanks for tuning in Leif. No, I don't think I am. The router is set to DHCP which I think means it "acquires" my real IP address from my ISP along with the DNS server addresses. Win XP on both computers is set for DHCP which (I think) means they get their assigned IP addresses from the router, which they seem to be doing. The only selection I've made is to tell the router to assign IP addresses to a maximum of 10 machines and to use the 192.168.1.1xx range. I suppose I could change that in the router and see what happens.

By the way, I just went upstairs to the old machine and tried again to see the network. I failed to mention in my initial post that the old machine sees itself in the Windows Explorer networks window, but not the new machine (which I'm using here, BTW). The new machine doesn't even see itself, so I wonder if that tells anyone something about what setting might be improperly configured? I have (temporarily) shared the C: drive and in the Permissions window entered the username I typically use on both old and new, clicking all three boxes for full control, change and read. On the Dell, when I click on the network, it takes quite some time before the listing shows the workgroup name and repeats that delay when I click the workgroup name to see the two computers, finally resulting in the "permissions" error message I mentioned.

Thanks

Al,
    Have you run the Network wizard on the old machine, then applied the settings on the new machine?
    My suspicion would be that the problem is McAfee, mostly because I'm not sure about it being ready out of the box for a home network, particularly with a 192.168.0.100 network rather than a 192.168.0.0 one. What are the exact settings it shows for the allowed subnet?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Timeout, I think the topic of my thread just changed to "Security and Why?" because I got it by accident but don't know if it's SAFE or what the alternatives might be. I hope this isn't too much, but a little background. Before I got XP Pro a few years ago, my home LAN consisted of two desktops and two laptops, all running Win98 or WinME. When I put XP on the (now) old desktop, somewhere I gleaned what I remember as a security precaution that one should set up "groups" with chosen users to give access to. Now I haven't had to monkey around with a new installation ever since. But when I setup this new Dell, I set the Permissions window in the drive share for the username I use on both computers. That's where it wasn't working.

A little while ago, I went back to the Permissions window and gave full control, change and read permission to the "Everyone" user and I can now see the old machine shares and vice versa. I guess what I'm now searching for is a tutorial on what is the best and SAFEST thing to do?

Thanks

I'll bow out here as there are others with more experience using a workgroup than me!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you turned on the File and Printer Sharing" on the new machine?
    Also define a "Share" on the new machine?

In order to be seen a share has to be there.

You did add the IP address of the new machine to the ZoneAlarm "Firewall Zones" area?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Hi Al,

Don't you just hate the BS we're forced to go through with a new PC just because there are so many idiots in the world? Have alook at Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP, WindowsXP Networking (pretty basic), Eric Cross's Networking (lots of links and pointers), Windows XP Resource Center (lots of links), Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ (this guy knows networking), and World of Windows Networking (lots of links).

That'll keep you busy for quite a while. Good luck.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe! I haven't been to any of 'em yet as I just came home, but that WILL keep me busy in lieu of TV tonite!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You may not have fully read that post, Dave, 'cause I am seeing both machines, old and new, one from the other. Yes, file & printer sharing is turned on. Yes, the C: drive is defined as a share named (appropriately?) DELL. I don't have ZA installed on the new machine yet, but the old machine has the 192.168.x.x trusted in ZA and (temporarily) on the new one, the McAfee firewall has the same trusted setting. I'm gonna blow away the McAfee tonite and replace it with ZA and Avast. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The share that you see on the new machine, is it the "$C" share?
    If so, that is the share that is used for the machines to see each other. You can NOT access the the machine until YOU define a share and you may want to enter the check in the "Allow network users to change my files".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

It would be worth checking what username the PC hosting the file share has mapped the remote user to. In computer management, have a look at Shared Folders > Sessions. You will see the remote computername, remote username and a field marked Guest - which will say yes or no. If the username matches and guest is No then you should be using the correct username.

If you have connected as guest then try the following, from the connecting PC (not the one hosting the share).
    <code>
    C:> NET USE * /DELETE
    C:> NET USE ComputernameIPC$ /user:Username
    </code>
    Replace computername and username with the correct values for the PC that hosts the share.

Then check that you have connected without using the guest account and try mapping the share again.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Assuming you mean the "C$" share, Dave, you need to give me a little credit for the basics. No, it's not that share.