5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PS2 keyboard to USB Adapter

I have found adapters that will convert a USB device to a PS2 connection but is there an adapter that will convert a PS2 keyboard to a USB connector. A friend just bought a new Dell and they no longer have PS2 connections. She has a keyboard that she wants to continue to use rather than the USB keyboard provided by Dell. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PS2 keyboard to USB Adapter

Do you mean something like this? Just search for PS2 to USB and you will find lots of options.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for bringing this up, and Stuart for the links. After just a few days with MY new Dell (other threads) I already miss my Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard. This corded mouse keeps wanting to move just a tad if I don't hold it precisely on target. I guess I've developed a hand-mouse coordination already with my cordless that's hard to break. My Logitech strangely enough has one PS/2 and one USB plug and an adapter to convert the USB to PS/2 which I was using on my old computer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All of the new mice I have gotten lately have had the small USB adapter included.
    Maybe this is so they can sell to the likes of Dell customers.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know how you made out, but I just thought I'd pass along that I received one of these today and it has allowed me to re-connect my Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard to my new Dell. I don't know about most combos like the mouse/kb I bought but my transmitter has one USB and one PS/2 connector AND an adapter to convert the USB connector to PS/2. With this cable and the adapter that came with the Logitech I now have my cordless mouse and keyboard connected to ONE USB port on the computer and working just fine. It looks a little strange with a USB converted to PS/2 and back to USB, but it gets them both into one port on the PC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

BigAl,
    Have you tried using your new keyboard and mouse in a older computer?

I was given a older Dell machine (to clean up and setup for a senior) with a new keyboard and mouse that came with the replacement Dell machine. These new devices will not work in the older machine. I get now error beeps at boot up but after XP starts no mouse or keyboard functions.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, I haven't tried Dave. Maybe the new mice and keyboard required USB 2 and the old machine you're working on is ISB 1. I know I for one am having a devil of a time finding EXACT USB specs for some of my USB devices such as my HP printer, Palm cradle and SmartDisk Media card reader. The reason I care is that I just bought a 7-port USB hub that says you shouldn't mix USB 1 and 2 devices on the hub or they will all run at the "lower speed" of USB 1. So far the only peripherals I know for sure are my (just purchased) Seagate drive and my Canon scanner, both of whose documentation says USB 2.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

You can be pretty confident that any device that doesn't specify which USB standard they implement will not be the latest High Speed USB, also known as USB 2.

You can see the original USB logo and the High Speed USB Logo on this web page, this web site also says that the following HP printers are High Speed USB - HP Photosmart 2570, 2571, 2573, 2574, 2575, 2575v, 2575xi, 2578.

StuartR

Edited to add
    You can find an explanation of the difference between High Speed USB and USB 2 here.