Thread: startup folder

terryword

startup folder

I just upgraded from Word 95 to 2000. Whenever I closed word I was asked something like 'do you want to save changes to PDF.doc' , when I didn't even have such a doc open.
    I tried several things in Tools, but the problem seemed to return, and then just emptied out the start up folder. This seemed to work, but the question is, do I need those things in the folder, and will it screw up later on or not?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: startup folder

Hi Terry:
    When you first install Word, there is nothing in the startup directory. The startup directory will contain global templates (other than normal.dot) that you place in there. Other programs may put add-ins in the startup directory.

Deleting what's in the startup directory will doesn't prevent Word from functioning, but it may prevent an add-in program from functioning properly.

As far as the global templates that you (or any program) has added, it means it's enhancements, if any, won't be available when Word starts. You ought to check to see what programs you've installed that would modify Word (e.g. WOPR). PDF is from Adobe Acrobat.

Hope this helps.

terryword

thanks. There were three templates in the folder and I didn't add any of them. One was from acrobat, and perhaps two came from word 95. word seems to be running okay so far.

Thanks

Templates placed in the StartUp folder are loaded as "global" templates. In Word 2000 there are at least two that Microsoft installs, in the second startup folder. To see which global templates are loaded, look under Tools => Templates and Add-Ins... See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), global templates and Normal.dot.

It sounds as if an Add-In from Acrobat may have been your problem. WOPR loads bunches of Add-Ins, as needed.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Hey Charles - I've been reading your template basics and its very useful indeed - thanks