Thread: Network problem

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Network problem

I have just installed a pair of ethernet "homeplug" devices, to connect two PCs together. This as an alternative to an extremely long piece of ethernet patch cable or a wireless connection. The 'downstairs' PC has has a new NIC card (D-Link) inserted, and this is bound to the connection for the original motherboard NIC (which goes to the hardware firewall) to allow Internet Connection Sharing. The 'upstairs' PC uses the original motherboard NIC. Although each homeplug has a MAC address, I am told that they don't need any drivers (the NICs obviously do!).

The data transfer between the two (using SyncToy) and internet connectivity now work fine, BUT I have been getting (probably since shortly after installation), in the System Event Log of both PCs, a pair of identical messages every two or three seconds:
    Event ID 7000
    The PLCMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot find the file specified.

Perfectly true, since I cannot find PLCMPR5.SYS in windowssystem32 (or elsewhere!). I have no idea why I would need NDIS, and I cannot find an obviously-corresponding service.

The messages in the System Event Log sometimes stop, for no obvious reason, and they can be completely turned off by disabling the corresponding connection.

Has anyone ever met this problem, or have any suggestions as to what to do. Can the messages be ignored or (preferably!) be prevented from occurring? The only Google hit on PLCMPR5 is a series of posts on a German bulletin board! The translations are a little odd, especially the salutation "Rear one"!

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Network problem

I can't help other than to suggest Googling on <code>"NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start"</code> which seems to bring up a fair number of hits which may lead you somewhere...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network problem

Just to close the matter off, further work has revealed that it is the HomePlug utility which is giving these messages. If it isn't started, there are no messages. But it is useful to see (from the utility) what data rate you are getting through the Ethernet connections (about 72 Mbps, since you ask, going down to about 50 Mbps under significant load. They are called "85 Mbps" homeplugs -- but who believes that)!

Anyway, back to the plot.
    If the registry key
    HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesPLCMPR5
    value
    Start
    is changed from 3 to 4 (disabled)
    then the only message on the System Event Log relating to the eConnect HomePlug utility is
    Event ID: 7035
    The PLCNDIS5 NDIS Protocol Driver service was successfully sent a start control.
    and there appear to be no negative implications of the change.

It may be necessary to reboot the PCs for this to 'take'.

So I'm fairly pleased with them now!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...