Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Win Installer access when updating Win Defender

At the end of the approximately last three updates of Windows Defender (WD) I have got a pop up (program alert) from ZoneAlarm (ZA) telling me that Windows Installer (WI) wants to connect to Internet.

Normally, since this is all trusted applications, I would have allowed access for WI, but I have not done that so far. The WD update seems to work correct.

So my questions are: has anyone seen this (maybe not if you have given WI access before)? I think this started, for me, with signature update from 1.14.1288.5 to 1.14.1315.1. Search engine has been the same through the last updates. Does anyone know why this is changed and if WI needs this access?

Actually I am sure it started with signature 1.14.1315.1, as I did check against Event Viewer and ZA log files. In my case I updated to version 1.14.1315.1 2006-03-14 and have done two updates since.

- Windows Installer 3.1 v2, nothing odd here, installed ver. 3.1 via 893803v2 some 8-9 months ago.
    - Manual updates of WD.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win Installer access when updating Win Defende

I use WD also and ZA never kicked in. So I thought your earlier post 559501 explained that. Instead it does not recognise updates installed via Windows Update. WU says the WD update has been installed but when I start WD the old signature file is still there. So, then I use MS Clean Install to get rid of the last (old) signature file, and then update via WD|Help. That works OK. The same happens on my other computer. Both run Win XP SP2.

Teunis

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I don't know about WU, since I have not used it. Since the day I installed WD I have always updated manually via WD-Help. If I, at some time, go to Microsoft Update (MU) I do find that the WD updates are there in the Update History.

The WD updates gets installed correctly, as far as I can tell. They are recognized in WD main window as well as under Help. I also find the update process documented in Event Viewer, everything seems working fine.

So my question was more; why has WI started to access the Internet? It is doing so at the end of the update process.

And yes, I have read some posts at the Windows Defender Newsgroups, but there is such a mess of posts, and since I have no problem with updates not getting recognized the posts are not that interesting. Also, people do their updating in different ways.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Anyone else got a clue?

Surely someone else must have seen this, with all the firewalls out there. At least if you have a two-way, checking outgoing traffic as well and not routinely have Windows Installer in access list.

My copy of WD is running fine, has been running fine, install went OK in February. Now Windows Installer, as almost everyone knows is used in the update process of definitions or search engine, has started to connect to the Net (Microsoft).

OK, last update time I allowed access for Windows Installer at the end of the update; it looked for the 131.107... MS address. Nothing, as I can tell, happened. I had "msiexec" running for while, and then the process went away.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I can't find anything that answers your specific question. However, Other Sources of Windows Installer Information [Windows Installer] has lots of links to information if you are inclined to try to ferret out the answer.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for your reply. Maybe there isn't many other who has seen this, most people at different forums have had problem with automatic updates etc. I know it's a beta and some things may not work completely in different environments. I will see if can find something and if it is related to WD or WI. This may also have been some glitch in the update process for some period, who knows.