Thanks

FE Locking (A2003)

I recently split an existing database and put the BE on a server the FE on individual users machines. All was working with multiple users accessing the BE, however, ran into a glitch today. If I access the database through the same FE on my desktop, the database locks as if it is in exclusive mode and the other users receive a message that they cant access the database. If I exit the database, the other users once again have access. Why is it the DB locks when I enter it? All users have full permissions on the BE. Each users front end security shows them with read and write access as well. This database does not have user level security enabled. What am I missing?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FE Locking (A2003)

Do you still have Access set to open databases exclusively by default (in the Advanced tab of Tools | Options...)?

Thanks

Hans,

Checked both DB's prior to posting the question and both the FE and BE are set to open in shared mode.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to set things right: as I mentioned in your previous thread, the default open mode is NOT a database setting, but a user-level setting.

Are you sure you have full permissions to the folder containing the backend database?

Thanks

Hans,

I am sure I have full permissions to the folder containing the backend. Not only did I create the folder but I went into security settings on the network and checked it. I am also the owner of the folder with full permissions.

As this database has no user level security implemented I didn't think the user-level setting would apply. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I have apparently been very unclear. The 'Default open mode' section in the Advanced tab of Tools | Options has nothing to do with user-level security. It doesn't apply to the currently open database.

I had never used this option, and it turns out to be pretty useless. It only determines which option is ticked in the dropdown list that appears next to the Open button in the File | Open dialog. That's all.

I'm afraid I don't understand why the database is locked exclusively when you open it. We seem to have excluded all reasonable explanations...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if I'm clutching at straws here but have you got a shortcut on your desktop or is it the full FE database?

Thanks

Thanks Hans,

I am still totally baffled....
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

Patt,

All users are using the actual FE database loaded to their macines. No shortcuts.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You already opened the database using file open and set the dropdown next to the open button to Open on your PC?

Carla

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Besides Hans' suggestion, (checking your " 'Default open mode' section in the Advanced tab of Tools | Options"), another thing that has bit users here is the security that might be On Your Own Coimputer. I know that sounds strange, but if you are part of a larger organization, and if you are not administrator of your machine, the folder that your database resides on your own machine may not be able to create a lock file (or modify it or delete it, if already there), therefore, it causes the database to be read-only and (if I remember right) has the cascading effect of locking other users out.

Thanks

Patricia,

Great idea but I am an administrator on my machine as well. (As I have to be for other applications to run properly) Although this gives me a different idea. I am going to log into the database after logging into a different desktop and see if it makes a difference.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

Carla,

Checked and tried that as well. No luck.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Thanks

Hans and others,

I did get the database to work. I also did the following.

1. Re-split the database without using the wizard. - Still did not work.
    2. Imported the entire database to a new database and re-split it. - Still did not work.
    3. Imported the entire database to a new FE and BE - Still did not work
    4. Re-checked the network folder settings to ensure everyone had full access. (They did)

Here is where it gets interesting. As I created the folder where the DB is to reside, I noticed in the security settings that my username was specifically called out in addition to the usual groups. I asked another user to create a folder for the Back End so my username is NOT specifically called out and the database works as it should. I am not sure exactly what is happening here. The only difference in the folder security settings is that my name is not specifically called out in the folder the other user created. (But it works) Thanks to everyone for your ideas.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)