Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dropdown menu (Frontpage 2003)

Does anybody know how I can create a dropdown/expandable menu in Frontpage 2003? I am able to create a dropdown menu in Fireworks and Dreamweaver but was not successful importing it into Frontpage. I need to be able to do this in Frontpage as our organisation uses Frontpage.

Thanks

Re: Dropdown menu (Frontpage 2003)

That depends on how much hand-editing you want to do. There is a well-known set of cross-browser menus, styled using CSS and a minimum of JavaScript, called Suckerfish. There also are enhanced versions available. These are easy enough to embed in the HTML pane of your FrontPage document, with a few bits that go into the <style> section or your separate style sheet. But I don't think you would be able to manage them through FP's dialogs or other tools. I also don't know whether they are compatible with FP's "shared borders" feature, if you are using that.

The following links might be helpful (play with the examples to get an idea of how they work):

A List Apart: Articles: Suckerfish Dropdowns
    Son of Suckerfish Dropdowns - HTML Dog
    nickrigby.com: Drop-Down Menus, Horizontal Style: Pt 3

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that info but I have already been to those sites and keep having problems and it just won't work. Do you know of any program that I might be able to download that would allow me to create menus and export it into Frontpage2003. Is it possible to export menus created in Fireworks into Frontpage?

Thanks

I'm not familiar with Fireworks, but I suspect it creates the same kind of code you already were working with in Dreamweaver, since they are (were?) packaged together as sibling products in the Studio suite.

The problem with portability is not that you cannot make it work, but that there often are so many different pieces -- HTML, images, CSS files, scripts -- and they are so poorly labeled, that it is difficult to get them all from editor A to editor B without losing something. Perhaps you can strip down your DW menus into a working "shell" and then import it wholesale into FP (as a new "site") and work from there?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lisbry

I was a heavy Fireworks and Dreamweaver user for a while and used to create fancy menu bars using Fireworks with drop downs. As you are aware there is an HTML import function the fireworks that places the generated HTML and javascript into a HTML page generated by Dreamweaver.

Frontpage generates an expanse of microsoft styling and code that is frankly infuriating[gggrrr]. A method that you could use I suppose is the export the code into a blank HTML file and copy and paste it into the various areas of the head and body tags of the FP generated HTML file, which maybe a bit of a pain but get what you require.

The only reason I stopped using this menu creation method is the way that IE now blocks javascript via its new security feature
    Jerry

Thanks

Can you be more specific about what doesn't work?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile