Lounger
    Thanks

Hyperlink name limitation

In Office 2000 when inserting a hyperling is there a limitation with the length? Below is a recreation of the number of characters within the link:

xxxxxxxxxxxProjectFoldernamexxxxFoldernamexxFolder namexxxxxxxxxFilenamexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .doc

The following error message is returned: ".....Cannot find file xxxxxxxxxxxProjectFolder. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct......"

The same hyperlink works for me but I am using Office 2002.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hyperlink name limitation

Is this a serious question? If so, we can move it to the General MS Office Suite forum. Posts in the Test forum are deleted after a few days.

Anonymous

Oops. It is a serious question. Can't think how I got into the Test forum!! Can I move it or do you?
    Cheers
    Renyne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, Office 2000 should be able to work with quite long hyperlink paths. Try right-clicking the hyperlink, then select Hyperlink | Edit Hyperlink from the popup menu. Is the Address correct?

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    I checked and the path is correct. I did notice that when I insert a link to the same file my hyperlink starts with the drive letter:

G:xxxProjectxxxxManagementxxxxStrategyCompetitor AnalysisxxxxCompetition Analysis AH V1 160306.doc

But my colleague's link specifies the server and drive names:

thordataxxxProjectxxxxManagementxxxxStrategyCompet itor AnalysisxxxxCompetition Analysis AH V1 160306.doc

Also, in my colleagues hyperlink only the characters thordataxxxProjectxxxx are formatted like a hyperlink (blue, underscored).

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 should be able to work with UNC paths (servershare...) too, but what happens if your colleague explicitly enters a path with a drive letter?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

That is indicative of an imbedded space in a pathfile name. Was the path specified with quotation marks around it?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

I've done some further investigation.

The hyperlink was inserted in an email created by a user using Plain Text (not sure of the Office version). It was received by my colleage who uses Word as his email editor with Rich Text. When my colleague forwarded the email it retained its Plain Text attributes and the hyperlink did not work.

The path is definitely correct.

I then had my colleague create a new email with the hyperlink embedded, the format of this email was Rich Text, and the hyperlink worked.

I then tested it and sent myself they hyperlink embedded in a Rich Text email and one in a Plain Text email. The Plain Text hyperlink did not work.

I have no idea why this is so.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plain text emails can insert extra line breaks to ensure that older clients can display the email correctly. This could cause problems by breaking a URL across two lines.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

The path was not specifieid with quotation marks around it.
    Regards

Thanks

In plain text format emails, it helps to use <angle brackets> around paths with spaces. Not sure about RTF format; I never use it. In HTML format, it is safest to confirm the interpretation in the Insert>Hyperlink dialog.