New Lounger
    Thanks

Linksys WRT54G _HEL

Been running WRT54G ver. 1.1 for several years with no problems, firmware upgraded and running WPA-2 security. One home computer hard-wired, another "box" wirelessly connected both always "on". A lap top is periodically used on the network. All with NO problems. This morning I had a very rare DSL outage as confirmed by telephone co. Might also note that I am in Germany and in the area I live in there is seldom any sort of power outages or failures, ever.

This morning when trying to access the router I found that my very randomly generated password, known only to me had reverted to "admin" and some of the wireless security settings had been changed, not changed to default, just changed.

I find this very strange as it has never ever happened before with the WRT54G and I have had it a long time now.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? The only way I see that it could have happened is for someone to have done a complete reset (push the reset button, power down and power back up) and then go in and physically change the settings. The security settings I repeat are not at the factory default settings - they have been changed as to "mac-filtering", very specifically changed.

I can be 99% certain that no one could possibly have had access to the password needed to access the router. But, obviously with the system on all the time someone (cleaning person, perhaps??) could have intentionally made changes?

Or, are am I being too paranoid?

Thanks in advance for any insight on this perplexing, to me problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linksys WRT54G _HEL

I have used a WRT54G for ages with no problems.

If I had to guess, I would suspect this was a hardware fault, caused by the sudden power failure.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I maybe was not clear - there was no power failure - the DSL was down but the power was stable. FWIW - several months ago I moved the router and re-cabled it with the power being off for several hours when I restored the power all security settings were the same as before.

This time not only had the password reverted to default other security settings had changed, too. But, they were not to default settings! And, they were not to my previous settings either - very strange?

My thought is that someone would have had to have physical access to do this, or?

What I thought was a secure Network was accessible from outside merely by typing in "admin" for the password.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

This wrt54g reset security - Google Search yielded this security Advisory: 09.13.05 // VeriSign iDefense. There may be more information in other links on the search results.

Joe
    Joe