Lounger
    Thanks

Importing Contacts (Outlook 2003)

We have new e-mail addresses at work, and I can type fast, so I entered in all the new contact information for us and then exported it to Excel, thinking I could forward this along with instructions to other users, most of whom use Outlook 2000 so they could import it into their contacts (since most of them are "typing-speed impaired.") It worked for a couple of people, but on others, everything shows up in the Contacts EXCEPT the e-mail addresses. Have you got any ideas on what may have gone wrong and how I can fix it? If you need additional information, please let me know what that might be. Thanks!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Importing Contacts (Outlook 2003)

I have done something similar before.

If you create a new distribution list in outlook and add all the details of these contacts into it you can then drag and drop the distribution list onto an email and send it to all of them. They can then drag out the attachment into their contacts folder.
    Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. We tried this, and then they get only my name, even though I fully populated the new dist list.

Lounger
    Thanks

One of the guys that works in our IT department says that the list is close, but the "map" for the e-mail addresses is missing. Any thoughts on this? (He has none. :/ )

Thanks

Have you tried exporting the existing contacts from one of the machines that doesn't work and comparing the spreadsheet produced with the one you have currently? You will need to pay particular attention to the column names.
    HTH.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Is it a change in the domain name? In the past, we've had some macro solutions on this board that would, for example, search through your addresses and change ceo@andersenconsulting.com to ceo@accenture.com for the entire contacts folder. (See this thread, which has some code and suggestions throughout: Global Change of email addresses (2002))

Naturally, the nicknames file used for autocomplete will still offer old addresses and ignore the new ones, so you will have to decide whether it is more annoying to delete obsolete nicknames or to rebuild the file from scratch (over time).

If you've changed something in Exchange/AD, then the above probably won't work.

Lounger
    Thanks

We went through the importing process very slowly, and this time noticed the "mapping" button. We were able to click and drag one of the fields from the Excel spreadsheet over into the side with the Outlook 2003 fields info and, so, link the two. This then allowed everything to import correctly. (The name/set up of the email section in Outlook 2003's contacts has changed from the previous version, and that was the problem!) Glad for this board ... saved me many steps to "save the world (of unaccomplished typists)"! Thank you much! OfficeQueen [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]