Thanks

Norton 2006 - updates or not?

At work we have a PC running Windows XP Pro with SP2, several user profiles and Norton Internet Security 2006 (recently upgraded from 2005 - not necessarily a good move, I'm beginning to think). Mainly used for internet access via dial-up (but we're to get broadband soon).

If I log on as myself (not administrator) Norton pops up a message that its status is good, but after a while it may pop up a message that tells me my virus definitions are out of date and encouraging me to run live update. We don't use automatic live update because of having to dial to connect. I just log on as administrator a couple of times a week and run live update manually. So today (and this is not the first time) in response to the message, I check the date of the virus definitions, find they are three days old and dutifully log on as administrator (since I can't run live update otherwise) and run live update. It finds some updates to trusted URLs, but not any newer virus definitions. Can I stop it giving me those messages? I don't want other users to react to the prompt and click OK to run live update now, since as non-admin users it won't do them any good anyway.

I keep remembering reasons why I don't use Norton at home!

Ian

Thanks

Re: Norton 2006 - updates or not?

Most of these programs let you set a warning threshold for when a signature file is stale. 3 days is reasonable, but in your case maybe 7 days is a better bet? If there's no obvious place to set this in NAV or NIS, I wonder whether it is somehow generated by Windows XP's Security Center?

Thanks

Re: Norton 2006 - updates or not?

No it's not the Windows security centre as there is an option in Norton to avoid getting both sets of messages. It must be in Norton somewhere. I'll look on Monday to see if I can set the interval to be more than a couple of days. Thanks.

Ian