4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Canon Copier (2003/SR1)

We have a Canon 8500 that we use as a copier/printer/scanner. I do training once a month and have to print 2 sets of documentation for the people attending the training, generally about 45 people. Our Canon duplexes and staples. I want to have each persons name on their documentation, for a variey of reasons. When I use Mail Merge to print to the Canon, I use the duplex option and stapling and the stapling does not work correctly. I then end up having to manually staple 90 sets. I have talked to the tech people and apparantly it is a conflict between the Canon Software and Word and not due to be fixed anytime soon.
    If I print only one copy, selecting record 1 for the merge, for example, it prints out exactly the way I want, duplexed and stapled. So I'm thinking that what I could do is have a macro that would run the mail merge, print record 1, then print record 2, and so on. It's probably a fairly simple thing to put together a macro like that but I don't have any idea where to start. I would imagine that it would take a counter, maybe using a for---next. I have done some macros in the past, so am familiar with the process. Has anyone ever done that and be willing to share the code? Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Canon Copier (2003/SR1)

If the original documents consist of one section each, it would be relatively simple to write a macro that prints each section of the merged document in turn. If the original documents have multiple sections, you could hard-code the number of sections, else it would become more complicated. What is your situation?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They are each one section.

I think I see where you are going, run it as a Merge to New Document, then print each section. The problem that I run into with that is the page numbers get all balled up. For instance, with a 10 page document, with page # of ## on the bottom of each page, when it prints, I get things like page 1 of 450. Each of the page numbers are correct, like 1 through 10, it's the of page numbers that change to the total number of pages in the entire document. I'm thinking that is another off shoot of the problem of the Canon software and the Word software not communicating. Maybe printing each one in turn would fix that?

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Have each section restart at 1 and change the {NUMPAGES} field in the footer to {SECTIONPAGES}.

Note, that's from vague memory, so please check using the relevant lists in the Insert>Field dialog.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson replied your question about the number of pages.

The following simple macro will print each section as a separate print job:

Sub PrintSections()
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Sections.Count
    ActiveDocument.PrintOut Range:=wdPrintRangeOfPages, _
    Pages:="s" & i
    Next i
    End Sub

I don't know if you can set duplex printing and stapling in VBA, you'll probably have to set it manually before running the macro.

Test on two or three records first!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WooHoo! That worked.

Thanks to both of you, Jefferson and Hans, for the help. It took me a while, mainly because I'm kind of slow, to figure out that I needed to run the Merge to New Document, then run the Macro from that file. Once I got that, all is good. This is awesome, this will save me at least 2 hours each month. Thanks again for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

This has been a big help. I've been using it since you showed me and it's been working out great. However, I want more, sorry. Is there a way to do the same thing in Publisher? We have a newsletter that we can fold and staple, but the same problem, if we try to mail merge, the fold and staple turns off. If we could add mail merge, then we wouldn't need to mess with all those darn labels. Thanks in advance for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hardly use Publisher, so I'm not an expert.
    As far as I know, you can't merge to a new document in Publisher, only to the printer, so I don't know what the Publisher equivalent of the macro from my previous reply would be.