4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autorecovery -error message Windows media Encoder (SR2)

Hello -

When I click on an ASD file, I get message:
    Windows Media encoder
    "No video capture devices detected, therefore video input options have been disabled."

What does this mean, and how does it relate to ASD files? Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autorecovery -error message Windows media Encoder (SR2)

There are several file types that use ASD extension. According to http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=ASD, they are Advanced Streaming Format Description, Lotus Screen Driver, Microsoft Word Automatic Backup and so on.

On your system you probably installed Windows Media Encoder recently, and ASD files now are associated with this program. However, you do not have video capturing device (as TV card), so Media Encoder reported an error - no media streams are available.
    The ASD file that you have is most likely an automatic Word backup of one of your documents. Force Windows to use Word to open it (right-click the icon representing ASD file and from pop-up menu click "Open with", and then navigate to Word) or change file association (in My Computer or Windows Explorer from Tools menu choose Folder Options, click on File Types tab, scroll down the Registered file types list and select "ASD - ASF Stream Description File", click Change button next to "Open with Windows Media Encoder" and select Word; click OK, OK.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autorecovery -error message Windows media Encoder (SR2)

Thank you so much for the remedy and the explanation. Much appreciated. (One New Yorker to another.)

Curious