3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grouping objects - size explodes (WinXP / O2003)

Hi,

Was sitting here do a very little template with 3 graphic elements. (File size: 100K)
    Instead of having three pieces floating round individually I thought it more stable to group them. Then lock a single anchor point, BUT...
    when I grouped them file size exploded to 1,072K!

Have anyone had similar experiences?
    - would anyone know the "logical" explanation behind this?

Any hints are appreciated. - Thx.
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Grouping objects - size explodes (WinXP / O2003)

I cannot reproduce the error. I created a document with some graphics. Grouping or ungrouping them made no difference whatsoever for the file size.

What kind of graphic did you insert? Could you post an example (zipped if necessary)?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Think it may be caused by Words graphic filters...

Original was a small sized GIF inserted into one Word doc.
    Then I did a copy from there and pasted it into another file being the new .dot.

The original graphics inserted was relatively small - file size totalled about 100K

My suspicion is, that when I do the copy-paste, it converts the graphics from GIF to BMP or the like...
    - how does this sound to you?
    Bests,
    RD

PS: Wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called "brightness," but that doesn't work

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Again, I cannot reproduce this. I inserted a .gif image in a new document and saved the document. I then copied the picture from that document and pasted it into another new document and saved it. The file size of both documents was exactly the same.

Thanks

Rubberduck is saying he put them in a new .dot (not .doc). Is it the change from a document to a template that has caused the size increase, and not the grouping of the objects?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That seems very unlikely to me - a document and template are basically the same.

Thanks

Re: Grouping objects - size explodes (WinXP/O2003)

Isn't there a checkbox somewhere for the "default" behavior upon inserting an image file into a document? I wonder whether there might be a similar default setting for copy and paste. I know that if I right click and copy and image in Firefox, it pastes into Word as a plain picture. If I select all and copy in Paint and paste into word, I get an EMBED field. I always thought that Word-to-Word copying would simply retain the identical format. In any event, Paste Special should let you control what you get.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

My experience has been that I can place a compressed bitmap (eg JPG) into a Word document and the file size is fine UNTIL someone double clicks the image and Word converts it automagically into a non-compressed (BMP I suspect) format and the file size blows through the roof.

This may be similar to what is happening with your GIFs through your grouping action.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia