Thanks

XP Pro Upgrade (SP)

I am purchasing a new laptop today, that will have XP Pro on it. I chose to go that route instead of the Home, because of the file sharing capabilities and other security reasons. My question now is this. Since my PC, is XP Home, I will need to either Upgrade it to XP Pro,, or do a cleam install of Pro on the PC. I am not a real big fan of upgrading from one OS to the next, but in this case since this is a new hard drive with XP Home (should have done it then) I cannot see spending the money for the full version. Any opinions on upgrading from Home to Pro?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: XP Pro Upgrade (SP)

You don't have to upgrade from Home to Pro to share files between the two PCs. With XPH you do not have the granularity of control that is available with XPP. Start with Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe's information in <post#=566,451>post 566,451</post#> is absolutely correct, but after weighing this possibility and you still decide to go the XP Pro route, an Upgrade version will give you either option - i.e. you can Upgrade your existing XP Home installation to Pro OR you can perform a clean install. These choices are available near the beginning of the procedure. Do you have the XP Home CD? If you do an "upgrade", the Pro disk will recognize the existing Home install as a qualifying product. If you do a clean install, I can't remember if the procedure recognizes the Home install prior to reformatting and installing or if it asks for the Home CD. Perhaps someone else has this answer.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to John's post, in case of "clean" installation Windows Upgrade CD will prompt you to insert another (full version) Windows CD as proof of previous Windows installation.

Back to your original question (installation "on the top" of Home version vs. clean installation), I would recommend you installation "on the top". There is not only issue of full version Installation CD (usually laptop vendors do not provide them or provide "recovery" CDs with installation images), but also possible problems with proper drivers for your laptop. If you are not happy with system configuration your laptop vendor installed (a bunch of "demo", "preview" and other programs you will never use), just simply clean it - click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, select all unwanted programs from the "Installed programs" list one by one and click "Remove" button.

Thanks

You do NOT need a "Full" version as proof of a qualifying product. An "upgrade" version of any of the qualifying operating systems is acceptable.

If I interpreted John's original question correctly, he was not asking about installing XP Pro on the new laptop (it comes with XP Pro installed). Rather, I think he was asking about upgrading his other PC which currently has XP Home installed.
    John

Thanks

Thanks all, that makes the decision to upgrade the PC to XPP rather easy. What you are saying is that I can buy the XP Pro upgrade and do a clean install with it provided I have the original XPH CD which I do. This is exactly what Adobe does. I have the upgrade version to 7 Pro, and it does a clean install but asks for the original 5.0 CD that I have. I now keep them together.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Exactly. The only difference (that I'm aware of) between an "upgrade" version and a "complete" version is the price you pay and the fact that to actually enable the use of the "upgrade" version, you must be able to prove that you do have a qualifying version of a previous OS - and you do. The installation type (clean or upgrade) is then completely up to you. Good Luck!
    John