Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor Resolution and USB

Anyone who happens to have seen some of my recent posts may know that I'm in the (slow) process of aclimating to a new computer. Each day I do some adding, deleting or modifying of stuff on my new Dell and a couple of things have piqued my curiosity, thrown out for your comments.

I have a ViewSonic 19" LCD monitor which I bought some time ago, but have only today installed the drivers for on the new Dell. In accordance with the ViewSonic manual, I set the monitor at 1280 x 1024 resolution which was recommended by ViewSonic at a refresh rate of 60 Hz. I admit that it looks OK but will probably take me some time to get used to. The screen is quite clear and readable in spite of the "smaller" typing. However, this is the first time I've EVER encountered a monitor with something other than the "usual" aspect ratio of 1.3333 to 1. I'm curious as to why an LCD would be at best resolution at 1.25 to 1 and haven't found anything to read yet. Anyone have a nice place they would suggest for background reading?

Secondly, and somewhat humorously, is the fact that my new machine has FIVE USB ports built in but no PS/2 mouse/keyboard or LPT/Serial ports. It happens that in my case, if you count keyboard and mouse AND printer, I now have SEVEN devices needing to connect to the FIVE USB ports on this lovely new machine. Thanks to <post:=564,879>post 564,879</post:> and a lead from Stuart, I can combine the mouse/kb and will probably still have to use my USB hub to get the rest of the stuff connected. There's just never enough, is there? (I've also added a 100 gig USB external hard drive for backup in the transitional process.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Monitor Resolution and USB

All 17", 18" and 19" LCD monitors I know have a native resolution of 1280 x 1024. A quick search doesn't turn up a definitive explanation. My guess would be that 1024 (=2^10) is technically easy to implement, and that using 1280x960 (which has the more usual 4:3 ratio) would waste some bits that would have to be present in video RAM anyway.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AL,
    I've been out of town and out of touch for a while, but I returned in time to see you query.

The pixel count or the display "standard" that you choose has absolutely nothing to do with the LCD. Until very recently all the display standards were developed with CRTs as the display device and LCDs, being the new comers, had to match what the existing display adapters were spitting out. The CRT standards were only partially influenced by the properties of the CRTs with the remainder of the constraints coming from the display controller, display memory, interface circuits and, of course, the properties of the creatures viewing the displays, the human visual system. Even prior to LCDs and PCs there were several display aspect ratios to choose from, but the common ones were 4/3, 5/4, and 1/1 and these came in both vertical and horizontal orientation depending on the application.

In the PC era all display subsystem designs were dictated by cost and memory was a big part of that. We went from CGA(320x200) to EGA (640x350) to VGA (640x480) to SVGA(800x600) to XGA(1024x768) to SXGA(1280x1024). SO the ones most people are familiar with (VGA,SVGA,XGA) were 4/3 aspect ratio and the SXGA is a 5/4 aspect ratio display. BY the way the SXGA was the long-time CRT workstation defacto standard. The SXGA-equivalent 4/3 pixel count is the one on the computer I am now using, a G41 Thinkpad with 1400x1050 pixels.

LCDs have their native pixels defined by lithography, a centain # of horizontal lines and acertain number of vertical lines, like 1024 horiz lines and 1280 vertical lines on your VIewsonic. Each intersection of a horiz. and vert. line defines a pixel. That is why they tell you to set the display controller up for that mode. If you set it up for any other mode you have to do pixel processing to fit the image on this fixed pixel-pattern display and while the image is readable it is no where as good as the native resolution.

This may not have answered all of your question, so if you want further clarification, let me know.

Yup, USB ports are like clamps for a woodworker, you can never have enough.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Paul. Good to hear from you. Thanks for the explanation and background. As you've pointed out, all I've ever dealt with is the 4:3 ratio and even my digital camera is designed with those "sizes" in mind. Well, I only set this LCD on the 1280 x 1024 this morning so I'm still getting used to it. I can't say as I can "tell" (with my old eyes) that it's any more well defined than the 1152 x 864 that I've been using ever since a few years ago when I bought my (now) old 19" CRT. Like many others, when I bought this 19" LCD and plugged it in, I didn't even run its drivers, but continued using it at 1152 x 864. Since I've installed it on the new Dell AND connected it via DVI port, I figured I might as well give this a few days of trial to see if I can live with it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to make picture smaller - please don't post images larger than 640x480 pixels.

If the print is too small you could make a global change by enlarging everything by increasing the dpi from a default 96 to 120 in the advanced options.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good idea, thanks, I didn't think of that. But I think it's just the shock to my eyes of a "new thing" and that I might get used to it. I wear trifocal glasses and with my LCD at arm's length away, I can read the screen through the middle lens just fine. Way back in the early Win98 days, I used to have MANY of the aspects of Windows set to a BOLD font, for it made for easier reading for me. But I soon tired of that and have not been doing anything like that since those days. Thanx for the suggestion...