4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

template problems (mso 2003 wxppro)

Hi

We are having problems with working on reports offline when they have been generated from our SQL database on the network. The reports are macro driven to allow pages to be inserted moved, renumbered and deleted. They also have autotext attached. The report templates are stored in a network folder.

When the file is created and stored on the users local drive and the user is on the network everything works just fine but when the user disconnects from the network, the file is still accessible, the autotexts are still available but the macros are disabled.

Now I realise that Word looks for the associated template in specific locations but our problem is the users may need access to any of about 25 different reports and we don't really want to have to copy all of these to every user laptop.

Can anyone suggest a way around this as we are about to role this out and it is one of the last problems we have to overcome.

cheers
    cheers

Phil Carter

Thanks

Re: template problems (mso 2003 wxppro)

I think it is rather mysterious that the autotext entries are available; this strongly suggests that the users do have a local copy of the template, since ordinary documents cannot store autotext entries. In that case, perhaps some security setting is disabling access to the macros? This could include "High" security for a template that is unsigned, or an untrusted location for "Medium" security. (Oh, and probably some other things, too...)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson thanks for that.

I have tested this on my machine and I can assure you that the security settings are set to medium as I get the "disable macros" dialogue when it is working corretly.

<"Some other things too"?>
    cheers

Phil Carter

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson hi again

We have developed a work around in that we have copied the toolbar and associated macros to a group template that is stored in the startup folder.

Not ideal but hey, it works!

Thanks for your comments anyway
    cheers

Phil Carter