Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Booting to 98 (XP Pro)

I've found a need to run a program (to convert some files) which will not run on XP - only 98. Rather than fiddle with the usual dual boot options, I was considering the following:

I have XP on C: (HDD-0) formatted to FAT32. I have a (currently) empty second HDD-1, also FAT32. I'm thinking of creating a 98 boot CD equivalent on the latter, then jumping into the BIOS at boot time and setting HDD-1 to boot. Would this:

1) Work?

2) Create any problems when trying to revert to booting into XP?

thanks
    Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Booting to 98 (XP Pro)

I don't have an answer to your direct questions, but have you tried if you can get the program to run with Program Compatibility Mode? See Run Older Programs on Windows XP.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, tried that Hans and no joy. This issue, with this particular program, has been the subject of discussion on numerous forums, and the mail is always that it simply won't run. The failure is described as attached. I don't know what the technical issues are.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Pity. I hope a Windows expert can help you then.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never done what you want to do, Alan, so I don't know. I have no experience with a BIOS where you can set which drive is the boot drive. I guess if it were me, I'd take the cover off, disconnect the primary drive and set the jumper on the empty one to Master, do what you need and then reverse the process. I don't know if someone else will chime in with an affirmative but I'd be too nervous about Murphy!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Answering to your original questions:

1. Yes, it will work.

2. Yes, it is possible. Source of the problem: if your HDD-1 is connected as slave, BIOS may not completely disguise active partition on first drive (HDD-0). I never tried to do such thing; however, I think that the best solution to avoid any problems is to convert system partition on HDD-0 to NTFS (Start > Run > type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS ). This step will completely "hide" your partition from being accessed by Win98. Another solution may be temporarily swapping hard drives for Win98 installation. But if both drives are set as "cable select" (CS jumper position on the HD), or connected to different controllers (different ribbon connections), I would not expect any problems.

After installing Win98, create a bootable floppy disk (with system files). When you restore your previous configuration, you can use this floppy to boot to Win98 without changing BIOS settings. Copy config.sys and autoexec.bat from the root of Win98 drive to this floppy and edit both files in Notepad changing every C: entry to D: . Remember: after starting Win98 from floppy, you must keep the floppy in the floppy drive all the time.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you and Al for the helpful suggestions. I chose to take the safe (coward's) way out and disconnected the primary altogether, jumpering the slave to CS. That setting is a godsend, with all the peculiarities of setting a HD to master properly. Anyway, mission accomplished. I will leave 98 set up on the slave, just in case I need to repeat the exercise.

Alan