New Lounger
    Thanks

Counting words in a field (2002)

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I'm trying to create a form that I can distribute to people who provide content to a newsletter. The newsletter is ultimately published in Adobe InDesign, but I'd like to use WORD for collecting content. So, for each field where people will be adding the text content, I'd like to display the number of words that they've entered into that field. I can't seem to find either a property for the bookmark that would be the word count nor a function that would count the words for me. If anyone can point me to an example of this, I'd be very thankful.

Cheers,

Thom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Counting words in a field (2002)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

You can count the number of words in the text of a bookmark like this:

ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("Test").Range.ComputeStat istics(wdStatisticWords)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Counting words in a field (2002)

Hi Thom,

Hans' solution involves the use of macros (vba).

Another way would be to open each contributor's Word file and add a 'NUMWORDS' field to it. This gives you a word count for that document. To do this, go to the start or end of the document, press Ctrl-F9 to create a field, which will create a pair of braces (ie '{ }'), then type 'NUMWORDS' between the braces, so that you get '{NUMWORDS}', then press F9 to update the field. Alternatively, you can insert the field is via Insert|Field and select 'NumWords' from the 'Field Names' list box.

Added: The NUMWORDS field counts itself! so deduct 1 from the value it returns.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]