New Lounger
    Thanks

reinstall WinXP Pro (WindowsXP Pro SP2)

I intend to reinstall WinXP Pro without formatting so that I retain my files and change only the system files. Is it possible to do the reinstall and have all of my settings including my desktop icons retained without backing up everything and then copying the backup. I did this once before and the desktop icons did not show up except in "documents and setting/my name/desktop" and I had to copy and paste the shortcuts to opening desktop in order to see them. Also, when I tried to use applications by clicking the desktop shortcuts after the previous reinstall I get the message that the application "is not registered" and then the app opens and I can use it. Is there any way of registering all of the apps using the command interface?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reinstall WinXP Pro (WindowsXP Pro SP2)

If you "upgrade" your current installation using the CD, then your personalized settings should stay as they are. If you boot the computer with the CD and opt for installation there, a new user profile will be created in the process.

You didn't say what you are trying to correct/accomplish, but I would suggest a repair instead, booting from the CD. If you're going to go to the trouble of reinstalling the operating system, it's usually best practice to install it clean.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "upgrade" using the CD. My machine has been operating in its present condition for several years and is starting to get sluggish even though I've done error checking and defrag on several occasions. I thought that maybe this was due to bloat and other garbage that remained when programs were removed and I thought that if I deleted and replaced all of the system files the machine would perk up. I don't know that I can do a Windows repair because the file system is FAT32 but even if I could I believe that requires knowledge of what many of the commands available do and I'm not sure of that. The computer takes super long to boot up and shut down. I have 512 Meg of RAM with an 855MHz AMD Athlon with a 21.4 GB hard drive with 4.5 GB free. I know I should probably save all of my files and just reformat, etc. but with all of the s/w I'm using that's a drag. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, especially what you meant by "upgrade" using the CD.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When I mentioned upgrading via the CD, I intended for you to insert it into the drive while Windows is running and choose the upgrade option from the installation menu (it's a few steps into the process). This will essentially install Windows anew but keep all of your settings intact. You will have to reapply any patches, upgrades, or other base modifications after this process.

You describe your computer as being somewhat sluggish... it's not unusual for this to happen after a fair amount of use, and most of it is due to registry bloat and other detritus getting left behind. It's for this reason that a clean install is your best choice; repairing or upgrading preserves the junk and probably won't solve the problem you intend to be free of.

Something else you could try is a parallel installation and migrate to it at your leisure. This will accomplish much of what you want and still allow you to go back to the sluggish installation when necessary.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it very much.