2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Time Inconsistent (WindowsXP Pro)

The clock in the system tray, for instance, says 1:00 pm. If I save an open file at 1:00 pm, the time stamp on the file says 2:00 pm (an hour into the future). I checked the adjust date/time settings in the system tray, the time zone is correct, and the box for daylight savings time is correct.
    I have 2 Questions:
    1. Why would the clock say one thing, but the system do another like this?
    2. How can I fix it?
    Thanks,
    --Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: System Time Inconsistent (WindowsXP Pro)

Is the file(s) by chance being saved to a network drive?
    If so, see what the "system time" is on that machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now that you mention it, yes it is on a network drive. I will check that, as that's probably the culprit.

Thanks,

--Jim

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe you have encountered the "Daylight Saving Time/NTFS File Timestamp" feature, which has been around at least since NT 3.51 in 1995...?

John

PS All the event log times on my PC before Sun 26th March (when the UK went to British Summer Time=DST) are "wrong" by an hour, when viewed this week...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I observed a similar problem that I posted in Dec in <post#=544676>post 544676</post#>, which got no replies. So I repeated an experiment to make sure it wasn't too much holiday spirit back then. That problem concerned the time discrepancy between the times of files on my hard drive and the times of those same files on my thumb drive. So no network drives involved here (I don't think a thumb drive is a network drive).

Here's what I did in today's experiment (see the images in the "Confirm File Replace" msgs in the attached zip):
    - system clock reads 31 March 2006, 8:18AM (existing setting, I didn't change anything)
    - created a trivial text file #1 ("New Text Document.txt") on my desktop
    - copied it to thumb drive
    - checked time stamps for both, both the same (at least to minutes; I do notice that there always seems to be a 2-second diff in the "Confirm File Replace" msg between identical files on the hard drive vs the thumb drive when I go to copy the same file from one to the other)

- now change the date of the system clock to 31 July 2006
    - time shown is now 8:21AM - a few minutes have elapsed from doing the above BUT clock has NOT changed by an hour due to the date change

- copy "New Text Document.txt" to thumb drive
    --- the "Confirm File Replace" msg has the desktop version as 9:18AM and the thumbdrive version at 8:18 (notice the 2-second discrepancy mentioned above) - this is in the screen shot named "Create nDST, change to DST.jpg"

- create a second text file #2 "New Text Document (2).txt" on desktop
    - copy to thumbdrive; time stamps agree (disregarding the 2-second issue)

- now change the date again to 30 November 2006; it's now about 8:23AM

- copy "New Text Document.txt" from desktop to thumbdrive (this is the file that was created during non-DST)
    --- the "Confirm File Replace" msg has the desktop version as 8:18AM and the thumbdrive version at 8:18 (notice the 2-second discrepancy again) so all is good again - this is the screen shot named "Create nDST, change to DST+change back.jpg"

BUT
    - copy "New Text Document (2).txt" from desktop to thumbdrive (this is the file that was created during DST on 31 July)
    --- the "Confirm File Replace" msg has the desktop version as 8:21AM and the thumbdrive version at 7:21 (notice the 2-second discrepancy again) so all is NOT good - this is the screen shot named "Create DST, change to nDST.jpg"

So what's happening?

Fred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

This article Setting and Getting the Timestamp of a File [Files] explains the 2 second difference in times. This article File Times [Base] goes into more depth about file times. There are other links and the MSDN navigation bar has other entries on various aspects of time.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

thanks for the 2 articles - they explain alot.

First, the hard disk is formatted as NTFS while the thumb drive is formatted as FAT. So the first article seemed to explain the 2-second discrepancy. I had never seen anything OTHER than a 2-second discrepancy. I repeated my test regarding the DST (the second issue). When I went to copy a file, I now saw a 1-second difference. I would have thought, given the randomness of times, that I would have seen a match more often. At least now I've seen something other than a 2-second difference.

As to the 2nd issue, yep that worked out also per the other article. I created 2 files at the same time. I copied the first to the thumb drive. Changed the clock to July. Copied the first file to the thumb drive again. Had the hour discrepancy (and the 1-second difference). I now restarted the computer. Now I copied the second file to the thumb drive and did it again. Those times matched. Just to check, I tried copying the first file to the thumb drive again - still an hour difference.

Fred