Star Lounger
    Thanks

How 2 know which cells reference a particular cell

(Excel 2000/SR-1) I have a large spreadsheet, many cells in which contain formulae which reference other cells. I want to move one particular item from cell C3 to somewhere else; I won't be adding or deleting any rows or columns, just moving C3's contents. Obviously, all formulae that reference C3 will become invalid. Is there a way for me to determine which cells in my spreadsheet are referencing C3 so I can change the value from C3 to (whatever)? I would prefer this done without a macro, if possible, otherwise I will accept a macro solution.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How 2 know which cells reference a particular cell

Hi stumped,

If you select C3, and go to Tools, Auditing and select Trace Dependants, and arrows should then be drawn from C3 to all cells that reference C3 in their formulae. If you want to find the cells the C3 is dependant on choose Trace Precedents.

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Another way:

Select cell C3. Now, select GoTo from the edit menu. Click on the "Special" button. Select Dependants and also select either Direct or All levels. Click OK, and all of the cells with formula that depend on C3 should be selected.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for those quick answers - both work great. And to think it was so simple!!!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,
    What about dependents/precedents to C3 that are in another worksheet(s)? How might I find out what cells in other worksheets in the same file are either dependent upon or precedent to, say, C3?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If a cell has precedents in another worksheet, "Trace Precedents" will display an arrow an a small worksheet icon. If you point to the arrow, the mouse pointer will change to a northwest arrow. Double clicking will call up the Go To dialog. It's similar if the cell has dependents in other worksheets.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Everyone answered the question that you asked, but I think one comment that you made should be addressed also. You said that you want to move C3. If you Cut C3 and paste it somewhere else, then all of your formulas should automatically be updated. You wouldn't have to edit everything.

Also, if you have C3 named and use the name in the fomulae instead of C3, then you can redefine the name with the new location.

Either of these would work without having to edit all of your formulas. Still it's good idea to know what affects what.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How 2 know which cells reference a particular

Stumped,
    Using the Audit tools will help you investigate how a particular cell is related to the rest of the workbook. If all you want to do is just to move C3's contents somewhere else, Cathy's suggestion to merely Cut and Paste works even as far as pasting into another open workbook - carrying the links to precedents and dependents with it.

A quick method to find Precedents only is to select C3, then press F2 - Edit. The immediate precedent cells are color-code linked to their references in the edited cell.

Errol