4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Search Not Finding Files

I recently made a Ghost image of my C-drive and it was much bigger than it should have been, requiring two DVD's. I also happen to notice while the backup was going on that BACK-18.ZIP took a very long time to be written to the DVD.

BACK-18.ZIP is a file I created and placed in "My Documents" and forgot to erase. I had also noticed some JPG files that I had intended to erase but forgot. They were a lot of them from a 8 MP camera so I knew they were taking up a lot of space.

I started the Windows search function and searched for the zip file and it could not find it. I also searched for the JPG files and it would not find them either. Frustrated, I dropped to DOS and did a "DIR BACK-18.ZIP /S" and it found the file right away. DOS also easily found the JPG files.

No one else uses the machine and I only use one login so it is not an accounts issue. Plus, I was able to erase the files using both DOS and Explorer so I had all the permissions. DOS also found and deleted a lot of TMP files that did not show up under search.

With all the cleaning, I was able to get the Ghost image to one DVD as I expected. I like DOS so having to use it was not a problem. I'm just wondering why the search lied to me about the files not being there.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search Not Finding Files

With Explorer Search you have to be sure you are searchng hidden and system files. And when it comes to files in the Temporary internet Files folders it tries to hide them from you, to some extent.

The Command Prompt window is my tool of choice in these "we don't want to give you the facts" situations!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Search Not Finding Files

None of these were hidden or system files. The Zip file was a Ghost image I had stored when I created an image of the D-drive. The JPG files were files my software had copied over from my Canon Rebel X camera.

DOS is handy for finding files and I use it all the time. I was using the search function because I simply wanted to delete them and it's a little easier to click and delete in the search window than to navigate the directory structure in DOS.

I got the job done in DOS, I'm just wondering why search failed and if it is something I have to worry about again.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson