Thread: boot OS choice

New Lounger
    Thanks

boot OS choice

when booting I get a choice of 2 XPs . . . how can I remove one of these choices so the screen does not pop up, as there is only 1 version of XP on the machine?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: boot OS choice

Open My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab then click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. In the next screen you should see an Edit button, so click on that. When the edit window opens, you will be editing the file called BOOT.INI. You will probably see two lines under the Operating System section. One of them needs to be deleted and then save the Boot.Ini file and reboot the computer. The one you most probably want to keep should look like this:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Window s XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Yours probably won't say "Windows XP Media Center Edition" but something like XP Professional or XP Home. In any case, it's these multiple lines that are causing you to get the boot menu. There are ways you can turn it off, but this is the reason it's appearing.

Edited to add: My other computer which is running XP Pro has these lines in the Boot.Ini file:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: boot OS choice

that did it, thanks Big Al