Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Blank Pages (2003)

I have a document set up for duplex printing and at some points in the document I have inserted odd page section breaks. However, when I show the document in print layout view it does not show a blank page after an odd numbered page followed by the odd page section break. Is there some option that forces Word to show a Print Preview with all pages included?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blank Pages (2003)

Word does not show the blank pages in Print Layout view (since they don't really exist), but it does show them in Print Preview.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Chuck,

As Hans said, Page Layout view doesn't show blank pages. You can force it to, however, by using a field to insert the blank page.

If you go to the last line in each section and add a field, coded as follows, Word will insert a blank page into the section if the exisiting number of pages in the section is odd:
    {IF{=MOD({SECTIONPAGES},2)}= 1 {QUOTE 12}}
    to get Word to insert a blank page into the section if the number of pages in the section is even, use:
    {IF{=MOD({SECTIONPAGES},2)}= 0 {QUOTE 12}}

The fields aren't dynamic, so you have to do something to cause them to refresh if the number of pages changes (eg Ctrl-A then F9).

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. Actually, as I recall, Print Preview didn't show the blank pages either and neither did the PDF version. So it remains a curiosity with me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you wish, you can attach a copy of the document with almost all text stripped away, but with the page breaks in place.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

That's OK Hans, it was more of a curiosity than a major problem. I was having the PDF document reproduced at Kinko's for an elderly lady friend and they went ahead and inserted a blank page at the right place. Next time the problem pops up I'll give it another look.