Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Get rid of Web Page table borders (Word XP)

Hi,

A collegue of mine was copying a table from a web site this morning into a document she was preparing. She did a standard copy and when pasting into word, the tables borders pasted as you see them on the web page (thick and raised). I at first tried to help her by selecting the table and removing borders under FORMAT | Borders and Shading. Alas, this simply converted the lines into thick black lines! Then I tried to paste special and unformatted text. This pasted the test but then I need to recreate the table (using Convert Test to Table) adding my own borders. For one table this could be OK, but she needs several tables copied!

Any other suggestions to simply get the borders to standard grid borders without these thick raised (web page) type borders??

Tx again!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Get rid of Web Page table borders (Word XP)

After pasting, click in the table and select Table | Table AutoFormat..., then apply the format you prefer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Cheers! I told my collegue about this method.

She has found another solution along the way. She created a new empty table and then pasted the copied web table into the new blank table. This also worked out OK!

Tx for the help!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> She created a new empty table and then pasted the copied web table into the new blank table.

That will work well if the web table is a straight table, and if the empty table has exactly the same number of rows and columns as the web table. It won't work if the web table has merged cells.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thx for that warning.

As my collegue said...."Murphy (Murphy's law) was on my side!" I guess this was the one time it worked! But I did inform her about Auto format, and I believe she will use this for the other tables she needs to insert!

Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi