3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Sharing on LAN (XP Home SR2)

I can't seem to make sharing work, on my first attempt. I've two Desktop computers on a LAN: I established a Workgroup, and put both computers on it with Systems. Then right clicked the C drives, said I wanted to share this folder on the network. I did this to both computers. I clicked under My Computer "Shared Documents" but nothing of the other computer was found. I tried turning off Zone Alarm, with no change. Can anyone say what I'm doing wrong or not doing? Can Zone Alarm be blocking this, even if turned off? (The Windows Firwall is off in both). Am I just not finding the shared documents?

Thanks

kdoc

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Sharing on LAN (XP Home SR2)

You're on your way, if that helps.

Shared Documents is simply a pointer to the folder located at % ALLUSERSPROFILE %Documents, which is usually Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersDocuments. Thus, the shares that you have created for your C: drives will not appear there.

To view the contents of your shared C: drives, you will need to connect to them, either by mapping them or by browsing to them via My Computer/Windows Explorer.

ZoneAlarm (and any other firewall) will probably need to be configured to allow for local file sharing on your network. Without knowing how your network is set up, I can't give you exact steps to make this happen, but you can search the forums for a lot of information on how to do this.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's one such post from Joe Perez ( <post:=564,738>post 564,738</post:> ) with a few links you might want to check out.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if Woody's Lounge is the best kept secret or not, but it's right up there. You guys consistently rock!! I'm not quite sure which of the things I did which worked, but for what it's worth here are the steps I took. 1. Made the C drive and My Documents as "Shared" files by right clicking the drive and folder and choosing "Sharing and Security." 2. Established a Workgroup for all the computers. (By the way, I did this in two different ways...after I did it from Control Panel--Systems, I then ran the network wizard, and strangely, my Workgroup didn't show up there, so I again named the Workgroup during the Wizard run. 3. I mapped the drives and folders via Windows Explorer, Tools--Map Network Drives. 4. I had to turn off all the Firewalls (in the case of Zone Alarm and Windows), or allow the network to pass (in the case of MacAfee). 5. I clicked "My Network Places" and/or "View Workgroup Computers" in Windows Explorer/My Computer. And, would you believe it, it works [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Thank you all for your skilled help--as always!!!

kdoc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now you need to turn back on the Firewalls, and enter the IP addresses of each machine as "Trusted". This will protect your machines, but allow each of them to trust the others in the files sharing.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave: I did already turn them back on, and had planned to turn them off as needed. With MacAfee it's easy to "allow."--it accepts the entire network. With Zone Alarm you are correct that I have to enter the IP address. I assume that's the IP address under IPCONFIG (the one under TCP/IP Properties is "find automatically." In entering these addresses for the three computers, do I enter the addresses of both incoming computers as well as the computer I'm currently on? Thanks very much

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but never mind: Using Run--cmd--ipconfig, and entering the IP addresses of the other computers than the one I'm on seems to work fine.

kdoc