New Lounger
    Thanks

Storing multiple values (Access 2000)

Subject edited by HansV to be slightly more specific than 'Access'

I am trying to set the value of a combo box to an existing table...that was a piece of cake [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] Where I'm not having a problem is getting the database to store the data I have selected in my combo box, which allows multi-selection. The purpose of the form is to input inventory that will also have keywords stored about each item to allow for keyword searches. My inventory table has a keyword field in it...my keyword table just has all the fixed keywords that would be assigned to an inventory item...again, will have multiple keywords for one item...am I totally approaching this from the wrong angle? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Storing multiple values (Access 2000)

Let's get the terminology straight first. Are you sure you mean a combo box? Combo boxes (aka dropdown boxes) don't have a multiselect feature, but list boxes do.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. Slip of the finger...list box...and I want to select multiple values and have those values then populated in my table that is storing each inventory item...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The "standard" way of doing that is to use a separate table for the keywords, in which each inventory item/keyword combination is a record, and to use a subform for the keywords instead of a multi-select list box.

Take a look at the very simple demo attached to <post#=364,203>post 364,203</post#>.