2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding 'instructions' in a document (Word XP)

Hi everyone,

I work for a big pharma company that produces lots and lots of documentation. Currently for each different report type, we have an SOP and a "Document Standard" which detail how to complete the associated template. (By the way, although we call them templates, they're actually documents. Don't ask. I lost that battle years ago.)

Our management is looking to do away with these SOPs and doc standards and instead "embed" the instructions in the templates we use to create these documents. Of course, they want the instructions to be easy to access and obvious to the user, yet also easy to remove from the final document. They're also concerned about making the templates reliable (i.e. not likely to crash Word or to be corrupted).

Currently we use two different methods to convey instructions. The first is "Red hidden text". We've created a style that formats text to be colored red and hidden, and we have a tool which deletes this text after the document is complete. The other method is what we call "Info comments". They're simply Word comments, but the creator of the template enters the comments under the User Information tag "INFO". Again, we have tools to delete these comments at the end of the authoring process.

I'd love to get input from people here on the forum regarding other ways to embed these instructions inside the documents. Off the top of my head, I was thinking of something involving XML, or creating custom Help topics associated with each document. I'm certain both of these would be too complicated (and too technical) for my management, but I've been wrong before.

I've attached a sample of one of our templates to give you an idea of how we do things currently.

TIA for any advice.

Beej
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding 'instructions' in a document (Word XP)

The method involving a dedicated style (red hidden text) seems by far the easiest and least troublesome approach to me...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

You're right, it works, but we have had some problems with it--mostly when you put it in a table cell. Because the macro we run to "finalize" the documents tries to delete any text formatted with the style, it occasionally starts trying to delete table cells. It's funny to watch, but not so funny for an author when it starts "eating" all the text of his table.

Beej

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is it absolutely necessary to put instructions in table cells?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Probably not, yet my management and my template creators insist on doing it. :-( I'll try again to stop them.

I can easily go back to them with red hidden text as the simplest, easiest solution. They're just wondering if there are "better" or "more recommended" solutions out there in the rest of the world. That gives them more opportunities to tell me, "No."

Do you get the feeling I dislike my management?

Thanks again,

Beej

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've done a couple of templates for big pharma companies and interestingly they've all used a hidden, red, (and sometimes italic) instruction text style and then a routine in the template to remove the instruction text when it's time to publish. We do the same thing in my company (a software consulting firm) for our content templates (proposals, resumes, etc.) except without a built-in function to remove the instructions.

So no new ideas here (sorry!) but I thought it was interesting that the same format was used (a standard I guess?).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just as follow-up, regarding instructions in table cells. The macro I did for the pharma companies to remove the instruction text had to code specifically for dealing with tables and for the paragraph at the end of the document (if it is an empty para formatted with instruction text, it couldn't be deleted so instead the code would just apply Default Paragraph Font).

Thanks

Re: Embedding 'instructions' in a document (Word X

A variation on the theme is to dedicate a section to data collection, propagate the data throughout the document using fields, then when it's time to finalize, lock the fields and remove that section rather than targeting specific text styles. See <post:=389,256>post 389,256</post:> for an example.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Beej,

If you take a look at my Date Calculations document (<post#=249902>post 249902</post#>), you'll find a number of possibilities listed under the 'Use Date (And/Or Time) Comparisons To Vary Text' heading. Techniques discussed include how to:
    . permanently hide instructions upon a document's first printing
    . hide instructions only at print time
    . vary instructions according to time/date

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]