3 Star Lounger
    Sydney, Australia, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge w/Half pages (2002 SP3)

One solution would be to cut the paper before printing, and change the page size in File, Page Setup to the custom size (not sure if it's in as a standard size). Then change the document to be just one address and details per page.
    On a side note: In this part of the world we use A4 for standard paper, and then there's already a 'half size' option which is A5.
    Peter

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge w/Half pages (2002 SP3)

I have an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper that's used as a template. It's cut in half to make 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 to make postcards for notification. In mail merge, how do we go about making sure the address on the second half of the page is the next address? The 2nd, 4th address etc?

Thanks.
    Pooja

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Pooja,

When you run a standard mailmerge, each record goes onto a new page via a next-page section break. Two possibilites for printing each pair of records to a single page include changing every odd-numbered section break to a continuous section break (or maybe even just deleting them), or using the two-up print option at print time (File|Print|Pages Per Sheet: 2 pages). You'd use either technique after doing the merge.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Pooja,

I do something similar for the class I teach.

There's a feature in the mail merge process (step 1 in the MM steps in Word 2003 and 2002) where you have to decide to what kind of document you're merging. Most merges (IMHO), are to a letter, so you get a next-page section break at the end of your merged letter to make sure your next letters begin on a new page. Makes sense. Often times, you'll merge to an envelope for a mailing so each envelope is like a new page.

But there is another document type to which you could merge. In Word 2003 and, I believe, in Word 2002, it is called a Directory; in earlier versions, it was called a Catalog. I liked Catalog better because it kind of described one use for this kind of merge. Think of a catalog where each item takes up some small amount of a page. You want the next item to continue on the page if the previous one did not fill up the page (don't worry about the issue of having an item entirely on the page and not allowing it to break across 2 pages; I'll mention what I do at the end).

When creating a MM main document for a Directory, you just enter the info you want for the single item, including merge fields, just like you'd do for a letter. Make sure to include some line returns at the end (or beginning) so that the first item placed on a page during the final MM process is separated from the next one by some white space. With the few blank lines, you now have room to cut the items.

Unlike the letter, there are no next-page section breaks, so each new merged "record" begins right after the previous one (that's why the few blank lines). My application is to create status reports for my students to let them know how they're doing in terms of their grades. The report is about 1/4 of a page so printing this on an entire sheet as a MM letter would be wasteful. So I use the Directory type of document. I merge to a new file rather than print directly. So now I have a new file with 20 or so status reports, one for each student/record, across 5 or 6 pages/sheets. I look thru the file to make sure a status report (which is just a table with some static info like "Name" and merged info like "John Smith") does not break across 2 pages; if it does, then I just put in manual page break before the status report or hit enter a few times. Then I print the merged file and do my cutting.

A friend did a reunion year book like this. Each "record" was info about someone from the graduating class. The amount of info per person was about 1/4 of a page. Some had more and some had less. So his catalog "item" was variable in size (mine is fixed - each status report is the same size in terms of height).

HTH

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all! Both Fred and macropod's suggestions gave me pretty much what I wanted!

Pooja