2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro for watermark (Word 2003)

I have posted this question before and as usual got a very quick response. However, I cannot make the resolution offered work for me. Perhaps I am not stating the obvious in my question. I have created a letterhead template for my office. When I created it I put the name, address, etc. in the first page header. I also have a second page header which has a field for the address styleref, the date, and page x of x. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I created the template that I would have to have a DRAFT watermark. So I have been manually inserting a watermark for every letter and then manually deleting when the letter is in the final stage. I had originally asked for a macro that would get rid of the watermark for me. I have since redone the template and have the DRAFT watermark in the first page header along with the name, address, etc. So then I tried the macro that you had sent to me as a resolution to my first post and it gets rid of the watermark but it also gets rid of all the other information in the header.

So now my question is, can I get a macro that I can put on my toolbar to just get rid of the Watermark and not my Letterhead information. Failing that, can someone tell me how to set up the letterhead properly so that the macro will work? Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro for watermark (Word 2003)

Can you post a link to the original thread, so that other Loungers don't have to go searching for it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to provide link to post - it's very easy: just type <!t>[post#=547265]<!/t>, or select the post number above the post including the brackets, copy it (Ctrl+C) and paste it (Ctrl+V) into a reply.

Sorry. My original request can be found at: <post#=547265>post 547265</post#>.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you created the entire letterhead as one or more WordArt objects, the macro from <post:=547,265>post 547,265</post:> will NOT, I repeat NOT remove or hide the rest of the letterhead. It will only toggle the visibility of WordArt objects such as a watermark, and leave everything else alone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. I guess I'm just being thick here because it doesn't hide anything. It just deletes it. I am working in Print View and I even printed it out after I ran the macro and it definitely deletes my header. The steps I took were that I created the second page header first. Then on the first page of the template I opened the header and the first thing I did was Format | Background | Printed Watermark. The next step was that I keyed in the name, address, phone number, web page into the same header.

What have I done incorrectly? Thank you for your patience!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a copy of your document with the watermark and the macro? You can remove most or all text from the body of the document, and replace the address etc. in the header with dummy data.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aha....perhaps therein lies the rub....you ask me to attach the document and the macro. I can certainly attach the document but I did not save the macro in the document. Could that be contributing to the problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, that doesn't matter. The macro operates on the active document, even if that is another document than the one containing the macro. However, the document you posted *does* contain the original version of the macro.

The macro runs fine in the document you posted - see the screenshots below. On the left hand side you can see the upper part of the watermark (bits of the letters F and T from DRAFT). On the right hand side it has been hidden, but the address in the header is still visible. Running the macro another time restores the original situation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (8.3 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I can see that it did indeed work for you but I just tried it again and it deleted everything. What am I doing wrong? This is driving me nuts!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm very sorry for you, but I have no idea.
    Perhaps there is something wrong with your installation of Word. Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I will look into that. It's odd that all of my other macros work just fine. Its just this one that is giving me a fit. Thanks for all your efforts.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Good morning Hans!

I just wanted to post and let you know that before I tried to change anything on my machine, I decided to try my template with the macro at home and it worked! I won't tell you why it wouldn't work here at my office because I'd be embarrassed at how stupid I was! Suffice it to say that you were absolutely correct and I thank you so much for your help and your patience!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Phew! [wipe-sweat-from-brow]

I'm glad it worked out alright in the end.