Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook backup (Outlook 2003)

I have a user who for about 1 year has backed up his personal folders with the Outllok back up addin. It worked great - took about 3minutes. Today, the message came back that it would take 40 minutes and the backup proceeded very slowly. He is on the network as before. Nothing has changed from yesterday.
    Is this an Outlook issue? Or should I ask this in Windows?
    I am baffeled by this problem.

Thanks,

deutsch

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook backup (Outlook 2003)

Could be some very simple issues, some transient, some permanent. A transient issue could be that there was a lot of traffic on the server, and it slowed the process down. A permanent issue is that the PST could have grown significantly, and is now taking longer. Hard to know if there's an actual problem without more information.

Never hurts to have the user run scanpst.exe, aka the Inbox Repair Tool, on the PST.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,
    We always have server issues, so I am not sure that is good reason. The pst has not grown significantly. What has changed is that this user is a vip and his email has been moved to a safer place in a foreign country. His email does not seem to slowed down, though. Could it be that the backup can take from previously 4 minutes to 40 minutes with his server being in another country and him being in Houston, Texas?

When I can catch the man, I will do scanpst.

Thanks,

deutsch

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

See my personal experience with a PST on a WAN <!post=here, 563487>here<!/post>, it may be applicable, and also see the discusion in <!post=this thread,498347>this thread<!/post>. If your user is not having email problems, good, perhaps it's because he/she has a local mail server?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS