Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Installer / DAO (2003 - SP2)

In attempting to open 2002 mdb's on my new machine (Office XP MCE and Office 2003) I'm getting a dialog box which I don't understand and have not been able to locate any help on (probably due to my limited search abilities). The box first displays "Please wait while Windows configures DAO." After a moment it displays "Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product DAO. The Windows Installer cannot continue." Upon clicking the OK button, it cycles through this a second time. Thereafter the application opens Ok and everything seems to work ... no broken references nor compliation problems. I'm assuming that I need to change some option setting ... but what?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Installer / DAO (2003 - SP2)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

(I assume that you mean Windows XP MCE instead of Office XP MCE - I wouldn't know what the latter is)

First, try to re-register DAO:
    - Quit Access.
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type <code>regsvr32 "crogram filescommon filesmicrosoft shareddaodao360.dll"</code>
    - Press Enter.

If that doesn't help, try the following MSKB articles:
    PRB: Error 1706 "No Valid Source Could Be Found" When Installing MSI File from Removable Media
    PRB: Changing Source Causes Error 1706
    <A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297834">You receive an "Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the advice, as it turns out nonesources solved the problem. I then tried the uninstall/reinstall, still nothing. So now the machine is back with the shop that built it for them to figure out. I'll pass on what ever we learn.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Turns out during the initial install of Office 2003 two versions of the DAO dll were installed. Deleted the older 3.5 and my problem is gone. No idea how the two were installed as this was a brand new machine with no prior software of any kind.