New Lounger
    Thanks

Broken Links, it seems.... (WORD '03)

I'm working in a large tech document (over 300 pages).
    There have been ongoing issues where a developer tells me he's fixed certain sections and then I find a lot of "Error! Reference Source Not Found" This developer just wrote me this:

On page 139, there is an Error! Reference not found as part of the following sentence:

7.2.4.1Error! Reference source not found. describes the architecture and Section 7.2.4.2 describes the software design for the Blah Blah Blah Data Processor.

It is in the first paragraph of section 7.2.4. Here is the strange part: I opened the document on my laptop. It is in

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Broken Links, it seems.... (WORD '03)

If you right-click the error and select Toggle Field Codes from the popup menu, you may be able to see what the field tries to refer to. (Repeat to hode field codes again)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Does the document have tracked revisions in it? It is possible to hide tracked revisions on screen but show them in the printed document. Check your settings for this.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Aside from how Word can mangle the results of field codes when you are using Tracked Changes, the reason that you don't see them until you do a Print Preview (or switch from Normal to Page Layout) is probably because the defaults for Word are set to update field codes before printing. In effect, switching to Print Preview or Page Layout prepares the document for printing (because those views imply that you want to see what's going to come out of the printer.) This option is (arguably) most useful for TOC's, which rarely display that error, but the fields showing an "Error!" result are looking for bookmarks that have since been removed (or corrupted). That's why the suggestion to view the field results before "previewing" and to view the codes when you see the error is good: so that you can see what it's referring to, or at least what it once referred to.

If the codes were cross-references to Headings (or numbered items, etc.), the solution I use is: 1) view the document without the errors and take note of the field results; 2) update each field (F9) separately to see if you get an error (use F11 to jump from field to field rather than searching for them); then 3) if an error is displayed, delete the field and re-insert the cross-reference. (Having viewed the text immediately prior to updating it should tell you exactly what heading it was.)

If they are indeed headings, don't even think about trying to recreate the bookmarks; it's way too much hassle. They're "hidden", or "system" bookmarks that Word generates automatically whenever you (among other things) call up the "Cross Reference" dialog box or create or update the Table of Contents (assuming it's using a TOC field.) On the other hand, if they're pulling in too much text, then you might want to delete them and let Word recreate them, at which point you'll probably need to then use the fix I described above.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike