5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup AND domain

One of our workers needs to log in to their home network as a workgroup, then come to the office and log in at the office as a domain connection.
    Is it possible to log in both ways or is it one or the other only?
    If she is logged in at work to the cat5, it sees the internet, but not our server, not even in the network places area.

Is there any workaround for this?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup AND domain

I presume that this user is moving a laptop between her home and the office?

What version of XP does she have on it, XP Pro or XP Home?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this is a laptop and is running XP Pro.

--KZ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I regularly use my laptop logged in to the domain at work, and on the workgroup at home.

I log in to the work domain in both cases, using cached credentials if I am at home.
    I connect to network shares at home by specifying an alternate username and password, specifying the credentials for the home server.

I have a colleague who does something similar but never logs on to the domain. they are a member of the home workgroup and whenever they need to connect to servers at work they have to provide their domain login credentials.

To specify a different username and password when connecting to a share you can either click the text marked
    <code>Connect using a <font color=blue>different user name</font color=blue>.</code>
    in Windows Explorers Map Network Drive dialog or you can specify the username on a command line like this

<code>NET USE * servernamesharename /user:domainusername</code>

regards

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Prior to the arrival of XP, I used to use NetSwitcher, the ultimate windows network setup utility. on my laptop for connecting to two or three different networked environments, including the domain at work. I no longer have a laptop and I don't know if the things Stuart described are easier nowadays, but it might be worth a look. It's very inexpensive software!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I'll check into that.

The problem is that if you log in as a different user, all of the Outlook Express files, programs, etc. are different than the login name when logging in at work.

If I try what your friend does, I'm not sure where you are saying to put in "connect using a different user name". Are you talking about in "my network places"? I don't see anything there.

--KZ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you use Windows Explorer > Tools > Map Network Drive you should see the blue underlined text from my previous post.

StuartR