2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Default power scheme (winXP SP2)

I am trying to setup a laptop so that whoever logs into the machine will get the same power scheme. I need to set things up so the machine never goes into standby mode. I have read several articles on the web, but none of them have been clear enough for me to successfully follow to set things up in the registry to do it.

The users will be logging in to a domain not the local machine.

Can anyone help?

Thanks. Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Default power scheme (winXP SP2)

Use following commands from the Command Prompt or from Run dialog:

powercfg /change Portable/Laptop /standby-timeout-ac 0

Use this command to turn off the timeout when the computer is operating on AC power.

powercfg /change Portable/Laptop /standby-timeout-dc 0

Use this command to turn off the timeout when the computer is operating on DC (battery) power.

For more information, see How to use Powercfg.exe in Windows Server 2003 (it also will work on Win XP SP-2 computers).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

You could have the commands listed in <post:=570,086>post 570,086</post:> as part of a logon script that gets executed for each user. Also, see the links in Group Policy Editor - Search The Knowledge Base for information on managing local policies.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LOgged if as the local administrator - Using the command prompt I have tried to change the standby settings. I can get the setting to change in DOS and using the query code it shows in Dos the change was made. When I log in as a user and go to the power settings it does not show the change. What as I missing? I also tried doing it as a domain administrator.
    Code:
    powercfg /change "portable/laptop" /standby-timeout-dc 0

To view code
    powercfg /query "portable/laptop"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Power settings are on a per user basis I believe. So, you have to do it via a script that runs at user logon or via group policy settings.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

To apply your changes to all user profiles:

1. Logon as Administrator. Open Control Panel | Power Options. Make sure that Standby is disabled. Write down the name of this profile so you can easily recognize it later! Apply changes and close Power Options Properties window.

2. Open Registry Editor (Start | Run, type REGEDIT and hit Enter). Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelPowerCfgPowerPolicies1
    Make sure that the value of Name key is the name of power profile you wrote down! If not, check other profiles.

3. Select (highlight) Policies key. Double-click it or select Modify from Edit menu. Select all data in Value Data window. (You can also print screen to make sure that nothing is lost). Press Ctrl-C (Ctrl and C keys simultaneously) on your keyboard. Click Cancel on Edit Binary Value dialog.

4. Navigate to HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTControl PanelPowerCfgPowerPolicies1
    Select (highlight) Policies key. Double-click it or select Modify from Edit menu. Select all data in Value Data window. Press Ctrl-V (Ctrl and V keys simultaneously) on your keyboard. If you made screen printout, check the data to make sure nothing is lost. Click OK.

5. Repeat step 4 for all existing user accounts (HKEY_USERSS-1-5 ...). When you finish, close Registry Editor.

6. Logoff from Administrartor account and logon to any user account. Check power settings from Control Panel.