Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Right Click Menu (XPP - SP2)

I have been using a little utility called FileTargets which adds an option to the Right Click Menu that allows you to send a file to any folder you want simply by browsing to the folder. It had been working for a very long time until this morning when I installed some Microsoft critical updates. Now it no longer shows up as an option on the Right Click menu after highlighting a file I want to copy to another location. Is there some setting in the Registry that could have been changed that no longer allows additions to the Right Click menu?

I have tried reinstalling the program and uninstalling and then reinstalling the program. It says it is installed but it no longer shows up as a Right Click menu item. Any suggestions on how I can get this utility to work once again?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Right Click Menu (XPP - SP2)

Perhaps one of the Windows updates 'broke' the FileTargets code? In which case you would need to obtain technical support from Moon Software. But I note that the latest version, 1.4, is over five years old...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Thanks but I had already looked at the problem listed in its forum and it does appear that others are having the same problem. I was hoping someone here had a solution. Do you know of any other utilities taht may work the same as FileTargets?
    H Lewton

Thanks

Check out this article . Note - there are 2 pages so follow the "next section" link at the bottom of the first page. This utility was originally designed for Win95 but can be used with XP.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Rebel,

Thanks. I was wondering if the SendTo X would work. I used to use it in Win 95. If I can't get FileTargets working I guess I'll have to try it again.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks. I tried that link with one of my computers and it is very slow when trying to copy across network computers. I hope someone comes up with a way to fix FileTargets because that is a very convenient program. There is a forum going on the subject at Moon Software but no solution. I am not going to update my main computer because by doing so and losing FileTargets it would add at least 15 minutes of pointing and clicking on a daily basis.
    H Lewton

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're browsing across the network, that's not really a fault of the utility - Windows has to enumerate any network attached shares so that they become visible. There are certain things you can do to speed up your network browsing, such as disabling automatic searching for folders and printers (show in the attached graphic). Besides, do you send things to a network share every time?

There are certainly other utilities that will allow you to choose a target, but the built in Copy To and Move To functions work quite well and require no additional software.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Thanks and yes I do send files everyday to about 5 different computers - 8 or so different drives. I know it probably is an over kill on backups but I don't want to lose these data files I work on on a daily basis.

I did find an article on how to customize the "SendTo" menu and it keeps a listing of all the paths to the network drives. I guess I'll have to use that until and if FileTargets ever gets fixed.

Not sure I know what you mean by, "Copy To and Move To functions work quite well and require no additional software." I have A "Copy," "Move," and a "Send To" but not Copy To or Move To.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

For those interested I got FileTargets working again. Essentially I believe I disabled a high priority security update. A file called c:windowssystem32verclsid.exe was the culprit. After renaming it so it wouldn't function FileTargets once again worked. I guess Microsoft is aware of the problem it caused so hopefully the security update will be repaired but in the meantime I choose to not install KB908531 on my other machines. Any thoughts about this would be appreciated.
    H Lewton