Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Ethernet-connected external disk backup

For one of the voluntary organisations for which I do IT support, I'm considering getting one of the Maxtor Shared Storage Drives (or similar) to do backups from several PCs in a workgroup. It has an ethernet interface, and acts as a NAS server.

Has anyone any experience of this mechanism?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Ethernet-connected external disk backup

John,
    I have been using a "NetDisk" brand for some time, from http://www.ximeta.com.
    It can be used a NETWORKED drive by plugging it in to a empty router port or as a extra external USB hard drive attached to a computer. I use it most of the time as a external drive, since we have gotten a USB external drive for EACH machine we have.
    Yes, it works great and would not be without one.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Although it can be a bit of a hassle managing appliances through their clunky browser+Java interfaces (I have not seen the latest Microsoft interface), storage appliances are awfully convenient.

If you have $5,000 to spend, this 1 terabyte unit looks very impressive: Snap Server 520 Thinks Big (eWeek review). But if you can't imagine needing a SAN or RAID, then it certainly would be overkill.

Added: From the user perspective, it's just another servershare or drive letter.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

John,

Have a look at LangaList Std Edition 2006-03-27. This issue talks aobut a $500 USD terabyte file server.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sure I'm missing something here, John, with your higher level of network experience than I have, but at the prices they're asking for those drives, what's wrong with a "run of the mill" external USB drive? Since we're talking about a workgroup and a shared USB drive can be used for backup by all the machines in a workgroup, it looks like you could do better, price-performance wise.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I certainly can't answer for John, but one of his concerns may well be that the computer the USB external drive could be attached to, would be shut off, and possibly behind lock and key. This of course would be accidental (or not).

With a dedicated ethernet connection to the properly equipped device, it alone could be locked in cupboard or closet, always powered on - always available.
    Christopher Baldrey

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The USB drives that I have and or seen with network connections, do NOT cost any more money than the non-networked drives.
    The one listed by jscher2000 above is for a 1 <font color=red>terabyte</font color=red> unit. The ones I listed a link to are priced from $149 to $249 US. See price page

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, have just got back to this thread.

Yes, Chris, the reason I would prefer the ethernet connection to the LAN as opposed to a USB connection to an individual PC is just as you say, that it can be put away somewhere out-of-the-way and "safe" without having to be near the PC. This may not be a major consideration, though. It's conceptually better (IMHO!) to detach the backup mechanism from a specific PC, and have it relate to the entire workgroup LAN.

The other reason is that the software which comes with the USB/Firewire drives is usually single-PC orientated, but, yes, you can share the whole drive and access it from anywhere and use ROBOCOPY or (maybe) SyncToy or whatever.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...