I've always remained unconvinced about the need or requirement for multiple masters in a PPT Presentation. I could never really picture a scenario where using different templates within the same presentation would keep a professional appearance. In <font color=red>Using Microsoft Office 2003 Special Edition</font color=red>; Ed and Woody mention a "he said", "she said" presentation that used multiple masters -- and that was the best use that I could envision. But normally, I shuddered at the thought of the <font face="EraserDust"> frankenpresentations</font face=dust> that people were going to cobble together using multiple templates.

Until now. Recently I made a presentation, and as is my practice animated the master for the presentation. This means that every slide is quickly and easily animated. However, I had some slides with a different layout that couldn't use the master's animation scheme. Finally a good reason for multiple masters! I copied the existing master, renamed it and removed the animation default. Then I applied the non-animated master to my "special" slides. It worked beautifully.

So now multiple masters are a part of my ppt toolkit. I'm going to stop thinking of them as a method for using multiple templates and instead use them to refine a single template into multiple masters