Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dell L667r IDE hard drive

Hi all. I have been given a Dell L667r with a 7GB hard drive. Thanks I said. Now, I want to put a large capacity drive in, say, around 200GB. Have searched Google and Dell support and can't find the largest capacity supported by this box. Does anyone know ?? I'm happy to partition the drive if need be but I'm just looking for a 'working' figure. Thank you for any help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dell L667r IDE hard drive

This is about the best I can find on the Dell website, but it makes no mention of the maximum EIDE disk capacity supported by the motherboard. There could be a potential problem with an insufficent power supply, if your large drive needs lots of power.

Have you tried putting the Dell Service Tag into something like this web page and you may get something useful from it. However, you might not! (You may need to find the US (or maybe even Australian?) equivalent Dell Support site).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John. I searched the Australian and US sites and found no answer. The potential power supply issue I was unaware of so will look into this as a side issue. As far as the Dell Service Tag is concerned I did see that as an input option on the Dell sites but had no idea what it was. I suspect it is a way of tracking individual machines, perhaps like the method used by HP service. When time permits I'll inspect the inside and outside of the box for some type of 'Tag'. It may enable me access to more info from Dell. One thing I did was checked their BIOS upgrades and version histories to see if any info about size was mentioned but found nothing. At the end of the day I can just put a large drive in and try to format it and see what happens. All the same, a working figure would be nice. Thanks again.
    Michael

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The Service Tag I was referring to is the (roughly) seven character "serial number" usually found in large letters on a label at the back of the Dell. Examples: J9PR5QX, 5MG344J. This is their unique way of identifiying a particular box and what went into it at build time. If you can get to an "Ask Technical Support" page somewhere on the Dell website, you might get an answer to your question?

The best way to see if it works would be to try it, as you say, although I think that what's important is the total size of the disk, not the (obviously smaller!) partitions you might have formatted on it. (No doubt anyone who disagrees will say...).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm just wondering, can you get to the BIOS of this machine to get any identification, numbering or whatever Dell does? I only ask because perhaps knowing that, you could Google up some info on the machine that way.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with John - just try it! But first, make sure there is a recent BIOS in there - anything that's within the last couple years should have large drive support - although it may have to be enabled. If you are going to swap out the old drive for the new, I would not worry about the power supply - unless there have been other hardware upgrades since new. Figure about 25 watts per drive.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I have the BIOS flashing files at hand to bring it up to the latest but the BIOS history for the new files indicates no change for drive size support (and nothing else that I see as needed for my purposes) so will leave as is. When I have time this weekend I'll just pop a new drive in and see how it all goes. It is a swap out so hopefully power should be no issue. I'll post the outcome as it may be of use to someone down the track. Thanks for all input everyone.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with your decision to leave the BIOS as is - if newer versions do not address a specific problem you are having, or a security issue, don't mess with it.

BTW, if you buy a retail boxed disk from a major maker, it should come with a utilities disk and instructions on how to swap drives, and also how to enable large drive support. If you buy a drive larger than 137Gb, you will have to ensure 48 Bit LBA support is enabled.

You have not mentioned your OS - I hope you have an original OS disk and not a maker's recovery disk as that will make installation much easier.

If XP but not SP2, I strongly recommend you download SP2 first and have it handy. Also, download the latest version of your favorite anti-virus, I like AVG and a real firewall such as ZoneAlarm and have them handy. Finally, download the latest drivers for your hardware and have them handy too - burning them all to a CD will make it very easy in the long run.

I strongly recommend you disconnect from the Internet, install your OS, install any updated drivers, then, if XP, immediately install SP2. Installing SP2 at this time give you the best chance of ensuring there will be no compatibility issues later. Then install ZoneAlarm and make sure Windows Firewall (if XP) is disabled, and finally AVG. Only after all that, connect to the Internet, upgrade AVG sig files, then run Windows Update until all critical updates are installed.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi punters, back again and happy as a pig in ummm.....stuff that pigs are happy in. Firstly, thanks to everyone who took the time to consider my post and many thanks to Bill for his depth of thought. Much of what you posted applies to my experience today Bill. Popped a new Seagate 200GB drive in today and used the latest DiscWizard from their site to set the disc up. Part of the wizard is a Q&A section used to determine the best way to set the drive. I tripped over the 137GB limit, as this was news to me! Did much reading in help sections about '48 Bit LBA', dynamic disc options and so forth, and so forth. So much of this is new to me I figured a headache was going to happen sooner or later. Anyway, bottom line from the wizard was to use XP, if available, to set the disc up in order to maximise it's capacity. My original drive is an XP (SP2) drive so long story short........I have 186.31GB of available space to play with!!!! The usable GB figure being lower than the drive's 200GB rating is normal from what I understand. I have partitioned the space, but could have used it all as one drive ( I only mention this because I wondered in my earlier post whether partitioning would have any effect on total usable capacity ).
    Bill, your advice about firewalling and antivirus is encouraging to see. My original drive uses both programs you mentioned and as I'm planning to image the original drive onto the new drive...........I'm hoping to just pick up where I left off and enjoy the new spacious surroundings. 'Takes a breath'........
    Hope this thread helps someone else, somewhere down the track. Thanks - Michael

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad the information was helpful. You are correct that the usable space will always be less than the total drive space - the rest is used by the file system used to format the drive to keep track of the file structure itself, the files tables, etc. used to keep track of all the data on the drive.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

All done !! New drive in and up and running. Old drive is in the drawer as a last resort backup of 'a known good O/S'. If it helps anyone, the process I used for the drive swap was that found at http://www.informationweek.com/1080/langa.htm and the software I used to clone the old drive to the new drive was BootIt NG. Thanks all.........excellent forum. Michael