Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer (XPP - SP2)

When I open Windows Explorer and view the data files in the right pane they have always shown up in a black font. Now some are showing as a blue font. Where can I make a change to make them all show up as black again?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer (XPP - SP2)

Select Tools | Folder Options...
    Activate the View tab.
    Clear the check box labeled "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color".
    Click OK.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you very much. I have no idea how that became checked but your suggestion fixed it.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As always Hans is quick; I had thought of posting a reply, but as always I have to do a little research/thinking for the English wording for that check box. The tabs et al under Tools is easy, but since I work with a non-English copy of XP, I have to get the correct phrase for check boxes.

The "data files" that are shown in blue are compressed. That is the default setting in XP, so I don't think it has changed. I also don't think you would like more colours (I certainly don't), but with Tweak UI you can change the default blue for compressed to something else.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Argus,

Thanks for the reply. It probably is, as you say, the default setting but it never appeared that way on this computer or any other one I use. I'll have to check the other machines I use tomorrow when I get to them. I only know I have never used that option before tonight on any of my computers.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Argus,

You were absolutely correct about that setting being the default. It is that way on my other computers. However, those data files do not show up in different colors. Do you suppose it has something to do with the fact it is a lap top on the computer where the colors did show up? Do lap tops automatically compress files? I have no other explanation. I always try to setup my computers all the same, which I thought they were.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

The 'Disk Cleanup' task which runs automatically unless you've changed it will compress files. See disk cleanup windows xp - Google Search for information on configuring the disk cleanup tool. As a by-product this will eventually mess with the Office 2003 installation cache files. See The installation of an update for an Office 2003 program may not be completed successfully after you run the Disk Cleanup tool for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks, I'll look into your links.
    H Lewton