Star Lounger
    Thanks

Explorer won't expand folder trees (XP Pro SP2)

This problem appears in the folder pane in Explorer and in the Word 2002 dialog drop down that uses folder trees.

In Explorer, when I show the folder pane, I cannot get My Computer (for example) to expand and show folders underneath it. The sub-folders show in the right pane. When I double-click one of them the contents are shown quickly. Any folders shown in the contents then appear un the folder tree. If I click on a folder in the folder tree, the folder contents are shown in the right pane quickly. The same behavior occurs when I try to expend folders on the hard disk, mapped drives, and network places.

If I open a file browsing dialog in Word 2002 (e.g., File->Open or File->Save As), I get a similar problem that appears related. The dialog starts in My Documents. If I use the drop-down to get to another folder, Word stops resonding and does not drop the list down. If I use the "up one level" icon instead, it works and displays everything one level under My Computer. If I double-click on one of the displayed items (e.g., Local Disk C, Word stops responding.

This is a Windows XP Pro SP2 computer in a domain. The behavior is the same for different users on the same computer. All users have administrator privileges on the computer (an application requirement). PerfMon doesn't show abnormal CPU, disk, or network activity. Other computers in the network do not exhibit the same behavior. This behavior started today. I could not find any install of software (other than the April load from MS). Norton AntiVirus and Windows Defender scans don't show anything. The computer's main user mentioned that similar actions had been getting slower this last week.

I'm stuck! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe M

Thanks

Re: Explorer won't expand folder trees (XP Pro SP2

It isn't the "Simple folder view..." found in Windows Explorer under
    Tools > Folder Options > View >
    that has been selected, by any chance?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Explorer won't expand folder trees (XP Pro SP2)

See several of the threads in "verclsid.exe" - Google Search. This appears to be one of the side effects of yesterday's massive updates. The culprit appears to be Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-015: Vulnerability in Windows Explorer Could Allow Remote Code Execution (908531). The solution is to uninstall that update. There is a thread in an MS newsgroup that implies that MS is aware of the issue and working on a resolution.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer won't expand folder trees (XP Pro SP2)

That's it! I removed the update and the problem disappeared.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Now to see if Microsoft Update will try to reinstall it. Or if the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool will have problems as suggested during the removal.

Joe M

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer won't expand folder trees (XP Pro SP2

It was checked and it is related. If I uncheck it, Explorer hangs if I even try to display the folder pane. I followed Joe Perez's suggestion about uninstalling the latest hotfix and than has solved the problem. If my situation is not real unique, this is going to be a big mess.

Thanks for your response,

Joe M