Star Lounger
    Thanks

D-Link DWL-650 install

I'm resurrecting a friend's laptop, and she has a D-Link Air DWL-650 wireless plug-in adapter. The computer has XP Home on it. I went to the D-Link website, and they've discontinued the card, but still post drivers for it. I downloaded the zip file, followed the instructions to unzip it to the C: root, and clicked setup. The program appears to have installed correctly. Still following instructions, I powered down the computer and plugged the DWL-650 into the slot, and then powered back up. XP sees the card, and starts the New Hardware dialog, but, try as I will, I can't find a place to send it to find the drivers. It doesn't find them on its automatic search. I've uninstalled the drivers and the card several times, to no avail. Any help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: D-Link DWL-650 install

You need to direct the New hardware wizard to the path that you installed the drivers in.
    Did you just extract the files from the Zip file or extract AND install using the setup file?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: D-Link DWL-650 install

Thanks. The problem was, the program I downloaded did not have the driver file in it. Turns out the "real" driver file is located on an obscure FTP directory under the hardware revision number. After a whole morning of being "wrapped around the axle" with the purported driver file, a friend helped me find the FTP directory, and it installed itself like magic. All is now well.